Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Correct wheels on my 79

stevolwevol

Corvette
1977 light blue
I recently picked up a 79 Vette in very good original condition, but I noticed the wheels, the slotted aluminum ones do not have black centers like they should have. Maybe they put 1980 wheels on at the plant, or someone put them on afterwards. Anybody ever seen this?

I misunderstood, I thought you were talking about the inside of the slotts.

Here's a "year correct" picture of what you should have.

lmore2091.jpg

Boy those are nice! Mine look like 80-81, but of course mine is 79, and I just can't help to wonder how they got there. BTW the inside of the slots are painted.

Boy those are nice! Mine look like 80-81, but of course mine is 79, and I just can't help to wonder how they got there. BTW the inside of the slots are painted.

If you have your window sticker or build sheet it most likely came from the factory with the steel wheels and a previous owner added the aluminum wheels.

Also be aware that the 76-79 wheels had a brushed finish originally and the 80-82 had a polished finish.

Tom

The wheels I have are polished, not brushed, so they must be 80 - 82 wheels. I like the way they look, and they don't look out of place, so I'm gonna call it good. If I had my choice, I'd go with rallies, but it''s more expensive to get wheels, rings, center caps than to buy the optional wheels (good new ones anyway). I just wonder if GM may have raided the next year stock cause they ran out of 79's?

Very unlikely. I've never heard of a late '79 having 80 wheels originally. A previous owner probably swapped them on, maybe even replacing rally wheels. Another thought is that a lot of the brushed wheels were polished when the clear coat was deteriorating and had to be removed. It wasn't too hard to do.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom