Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Corvette Down

C

CSCARLSON

AS SOME OF YOU KNOW THAT HAVE READ MY THREAD ABOUT ENGINE NOISE, I FOUND OUT IT WAS A LOOSE ROCKER ARM, GOT IT ADJUSTED AND EVERYTHING WAS OKAY, WAS COMING HOME VIA FREEWAY AND TEMPERATURE GAUGE WENT THROUGH THE ROOF. HAD SMOKE POURING OUT FROM UNDER HOOD, PULLED OVER AND LIFTED THE HOOD AND IT'S A MESS, HAD IT TOWED IN AND MECHANIC SAID MAYBE REBUILD ENGINE OR POSSIBLY NEW ONE. IT DOESN'T LOOK GOOD SO THIS MAY BE THE LAST YOU HEAR FROM ME FOR A WHILE. THANKS TO ALL

Sorry to hear about your Vette troubles CS, but please don't let that prevent you from continuing to enjoy, and provide feedback, here at the CAC Community.

I hope it turns out as far less than it first appears, and not the other way around. ;)

well i am hoping for t he best too, but i saw what it looked like and unfortunatly i will have to get a part-time job to repair and get my vette back on the road or maybe just sell her?

Stop.. take a deep breath

CS,
Until the damages can be assessed and a prognosis made, try to think of good things and fun times ;)

If the engine is toast... you have many options. You could rebuild the engine yourself even if you have never done it before. With a little mechanical ability and CACC and self help books, your baby could be as good as or better than before.

Another route is find a motor in the local newspaper. I see many advertized in our paper for around $500 or so. Again with a little mechanical ability you can change out a motor fairly easy.

Of course a target engine is also a possibility. Sometimes things like this are a blessing in desguise. It may be hard to see right now, but please try to see it in a positive light and a great opportunity.. (I know easy to say) You're part of the family here at CACC, sometimes all we have are our friends, most the time that is all we really need ;)

Best of luck CS and I hope your situation becomes a door of opportunity.

BudD

So Sorry ... but this too shall pass

CS:
Rare / Bud is absolutely right on all counts. I'm sure you're pretty down right now ... I have several T shirts much like yours ... try a calm approach and DO ensure that a trusted & experienced mechanic performs your motor's diagnosis. But even a novice can rebuild a motor if one pays attention to detail, reads and follows written instructions ... and simply ask for help here at CACC. Maybe the motor's not toast after all ... could be something much less serious. Dropping the oil pan and close inspection of lower end & piston skirts & bores & oil pickup screen ... and looking at condition of both oil and coolant can usually either confirm or deny many of your fears. Again, if it's toast ... don't jump the gun ... think ... you can be up and running with a reliable used 350 motor for under $1000 ... even if someone else does the R&R. If possible, don't be quite so quick to sell ... 'specially if ain't running. God is often with me ... I broke a wp belt on a 350 in middle of HOT, humid summer day here in SC ... motor got hotter'n heck ... drove it on another 10 miles at 30-40 mph ... had blown out all but about a quart of water ... the steam might've rivaled Yosemite's geysers ... IT LOOKED BAD! Simply let her cool down ... replaced the belt & refilled water. Drove her for months thereafter with NO problem. When I eventually tore down for rebuild (unrelated to the overheating), the 30-year old block and heads were not warped at all, head gaskets were still sealing perfectly ... no decking or shaving needed or done! Also, the standard cylinder bores were amazingly straight and had little wear ... I did rebore to .030 over but only to tighten ... not to straighten the bores. All motors have limits of abuse ... but iron block-iron head 350's & 305's (like yours) are pretty darn resilient. So ... a major overheat and steam/water blowout is not ALWAYS certain to require an overhaul or replacement. However, if it has blown a head gasket or cracked a head ... you might very well need no more than a gasket ... or another rebuilt head ... stock 350 heads are cheap to buy & rebuild. Very careful removal of a head & its gasket can permit an experienced auto machine shop guy to inspect them and tell you if the head gasket is/was blown and/or head itself is bad/cracked. And ... don't cut 'n run 'cause your baby's broke ... Many here at CACC'll be happy to advise/help you. Sleep on it and good luck. Remember ..."this too shall pass."
JACK:gap

Thanks for the words of encouragemant. I will know very shortly what the damage is and also the cost. I will and have always been openminded on situations like this and hope for the best, I will post the damage as soon as i get the information and maybe everyone can give me some advice on options at that time. I truly appreciate all the friends here and also all of your true feelings. Well if nothing else i guess i will have to wait to enter any car shows for awhile. funny how things happen . I wonder why it happens at all? that's a little too deep, i was just mind wondering for a moment .............

Crate engine

Perfect time for a goodwrench crate engine. Great value for the $ vs a rebuild.

Bad news.. waterpump,hoses, engine real bad condition, mechanic suggest a total rebuild because of damage... total cost would be 1,200.00 dollars u.s. I kinda want to keep the same engine and have it rebuilt for the serial #'s but again if i can get another engine cheaper and have it installed for less...don't know which way to go..

CS,

The original engine could be pulled set aside and a different engiine installed.. be it a GM Target or whatever. You could keep the original engine and rebuild it as time and $$ permit. This could be the best of a whole lot of things. You may end up with a 1980 with some HP and keep the original engine too. Also a perfect time to detail the engine compartment.. for those up coming car shows. Alway impressive with the hood open and everything clean and fresh looking :D

Good Luck CS

BudD
:w

towed my vette home because..........I got an offer from some friends that are mechanically inclined , they offered to fix my vette with my help and food and drink..I gladly accepted,, they said they might have it on the road again by saturday..... I have sold some stuff to come up with the money to fix the vette.

I'm happy to hear your friends have rallied around!

I think that's great! You get first hand knowledge while working on your vette, and your buddies get food and beer! (beer AFTER the work on the vette is done for the night!) ;) I mean, you DO want it to run good! :L
I bet you'll be out on the roads, waving in no time!
Silver

Sorry to hear about your vette being down.:( Sure sounds like your on the road to recovery though. Good Luck!!

GREAT NEWS!

CS:
Like Bud said "somethings can be blessing in disguise." I think your pals helping you to fix it may be just that ... a blessing. You're gonna learn a great deal about your vette in a very short time ... knowledge-experience that otherwise may've taken years to get under your belt. When you're done you're gonna have a freshened ... even better motor and have that wonderful satisfying feeling that YOU did it! And, years from now you and your pals will have plenty to reminisce about ... might even be subject of some great BUBBA jokes. Have Fun!
JACK:gap

Well repairs are well under way and the damage isn't too extensive, we have done a great deal so far and have a lot to finish, but as a saying i have heard that goes like this" IF THE GOOD LORD WILLING AND THE CREEK DOESN'T RISE" we'll hopefully be done sometime saturday, at a cost of about 600.00 or so dollars and a lot of food and drink.

Good friends

Glad to hear that you will be on the road again soon. What was the problem? Sometimes, with all the smoke ect. things look far worse that they are. And you can always find someone willing to take advantage of the situation and sell you more than you need. Good luck.

Tom

Well the vette's done.. we pulled a allnighter and just finished her a short time ago. a lot of work but it's done. took the vette out for her test drive an she runs like a "RAPED APE " if you'll excuse my expression. the vettes power seems to have incresed and is strong. thanks for everyone concerns and advice and now i have the"PLEASURE" of washing and cleaning the vette up.

Congratulations!!

CSCarlson:

I can imagine how wonderful it feels. Sounds like you went through the full gammit of emotions. You have great friends that came to your aid when you needed them. That's the greatest feeling of all. And now you're back on the road again.

What did you have to do to the motor? How far did you have to tear it down? By the way it runs now you must have done something(s) right.

Great crusin ahead,

Well we repaced the water pump,rocker arms,valves and all hoses and belts also the fuel pumpand fuel line , that was not really necessary but i felt it needed it, also new distributor and all filters and thermostat. when i drove the vette yesterday on her return to the road it seemed to be tighter and more powerful. some things probably weren't necessary but since i was in the middle of it and everything was acessable i went for it.. Don't think we didn't eat well either we had pizza, kfc chicken , steaks , hamburgers and an endless supply of drinks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom