Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Corvette Enthusiasts Weigh In On Its Future

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Corvette Enthusiasts Weigh In On Its Future

Posted: 10:19 PM Jul 17, 2009
Last Updated: 10:19 PM Jul 17, 2009
Reporter: Ryan Dearbone
WBKO TV

This weekend, Bowling Green is the back-drop for not only some of the hottest cars around... but some of the biggest "motorheads" you'll ever see.

Despite the hard times many cars, including the Corvette, have fallen on...

These car lovers will never let go of their corvettes.

"I fell in love with Corvettes back in 1962 when I was a child. I've always loved them. My wife and I own 4 right now," notes Corvette owner Bob Wallace.

Its that love, along with a lot of horsepower, that brought Wallace up from Florida for the "National Corvette Homecoming."

His 1962 Corvette Convertible is what Wallace calls a 'survivor" car since all of its parts are original from the day it was rolled onto the lot.

Bowling Green native, Rodey Grimes is putting the final polish on his 1970 Corvette Stingray.

"Growing up, my dad always had a Corvette. So its kind of been a family tradition for me," he recalls.

Now, he takes pride in his own vehicle which he rebuilt from scratch.

"It was completely disassembled. Some parts, a lot of parts that you can't find or can't buy anymore are sandblasted and re-painted to look like new," says Grimes.

Right now Bowling Green is the home of the Corvette and the Corvette plant, but over the years there has been much discussion of discontinuing the brand and shutting the plant down.

However, these Corvette lovers don't believe their favorite car will be put out to pasture.

"No, I don't think anything will ever happen to the Corvette. Surely, I hope nothing happens to the Corvette here in Bowling Green," says Grimes.

"I don't think that would happen, but if it did... someone will buy that brand name and make sure that someone continues to produce them," says Wallace.

Grimes continues, "I think most people think about the all-American muscle car, so I think that's what keeps people... what they look for when they're buying Corvettes."

Wallace told me he hopes through events like the "Corvette Homecoming" a younger generation will fall in love with the car just like he did.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom