Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: Corvette, Mustang models evoke golden automotive era

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Corvette, Mustang models evoke golden automotive era

Thursday, February 28, 2008
By Don Hammonds, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Looking for more gems from Greenlight? Look no further than the terrific Corvette Collection, a few dozen of the most detailed 1:64 scale Corvettes ever made.

These tiny beauties have rubber tires, detailed graphics, authentic factory paint jobs wheels and hubcaps, cutout scoops where they are supposed to be, and even detailed taillights, headlights and side markets.

It can't be easy to replicate a Corvette in such a small size, especially given all the intricate curves, character lines and body markings of the real cars.

But what surprised me the most was the degree to which even the smallest thing was attended to: You can see the slots on the side pipes for the 1966 red Corvette Coupe. And the 1961 Corvette Roadster has the right two-tone blue paint finish with a flatter appearance than contemporary metallic finishes -- just as it should.

The 2007 model I saw had the black bordering around the back window and windshields, and the interior was done in a nice matte burgundy color. The instrument panel was the same shape and design of the real car.

As usual, Greenlight's castings, the profile of the cars, and other features were spot-on; there's simply nothing to complain about here.

The series includes several Corvette Z06 variants -- all with the correct bulges in the rear fenders to distinguish them from other Vettes -- a couple of pace cars, and numerous models from the 1950s, '60s and '70s. I'm told there are plenty more to come.

At most of the big box stores I've visited, Greenlight products are running around $3.99, which is reasonable considering what you're getting. For more information, go to www.greenlighttoys.com.

Thanks to Greenlight and the host of other 1:64 scale products out there, the established players have had to step up their game. If you want to know what I mean, take a look at any of Johnny Lightning's newest products. A prime example is the 1968 Mustang Shelby GT500 in its Musclecars Release 15 series.

The apple green metallic paint looks precisely like the color offered years ago by Ford and Shelby, and the all important side scoops and roof scoops that distinguish this model are just as they appeared on the real car. A tiny snake emblem can be seen on the rear mounted gas cap, and accurate decals showing that emblem also grace the flanks of the car. The interior accurately evokes the memories of the real car as well.

The only drawback? The collectable card that goes with the toy showed the Shelby GT500 with the accurate alloy wheels that they came equipped with, while the toy clearly has mag wheels.

It's still a terrific model that shouldn't set you back more than a couple of bucks, if that. For more information, go to the Web site, www.johnnylightning.com.

First published on February 28, 2008 at 12:00 am

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom