Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

corvette overheat

genog

Corvette
1967 corvette coupe
corvette_1.jpg
I have a 1967 corvette 427, which is overheating. it has 11-1 pistons chevrolet alu .heads. Timing was set at 5* with no vac advance. I think I have series head gaskets. I have installed a 4 core alu. radiator with twin electric fans (3100cfms). (pulling thu rad). Also installed a high flow water pump. What is next?

Geno

First, describe the symptoms which make you feel it's overheating.

Does this happen when you are running the engine hard? Does this happen when you are cruising on the highway at 60-70-mph ? Does it happen in around town traffic at lower speeds?

Have you tried reinstalling the vacuum advance?

I'm a 60's 70's drag racer and was skilled in ignition and carburetion. You can run into overheating with both under and over advance situations. My '69 Z-28 Camaro ran best with 16 deg. initial timing and 36 to 38 degrees total timing... all in by 2,600 -2,800 RPM. the vacuum advance was very limited to probably less than half stock and coming in late rather than early. I don't remember how many deg. I limited to but it was very limited with the higher initial and quicker curve on the advance.

5* initial with no vacuum advance is seriously retarded timing. If I remember correctly the big block could handle pretty much what the small blocks could. Set that distributor up with 12 initial and 36 total for starters at 2,800 RPM, maybe bump it up 2 deg. from there. Take you vacuum advance arm and limit it to less than half its normal travel, or find an adjustable one and go from there. You probably will need a shop with a SUN distributor machine... must be an antique by now.

Good luck and have fun... keep the octane up!

Gerd

What temp in degrees Fahrenheit are you referring to as overheating?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom