Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

CORVETTE RACING AT VIR: Keep it Up!

cor123

Corvette
2009 GT1 Championship Edition
PRESS RELEASE:

CORVETTE RACING AT VIR: Keep it Up!

DXDT Z06 GT3.Rs looking to continue winning momentum in GT World Challenge

DETROIT (July 17, 2024) – The newest Corvette Z06 GT3.R program returns to racing this weekend with DXDT Racing resuming the GT World Challenge America season at Virginia International Raceway. Two more 90-minute races are on tap for VIR with DXDT and Corvette looking to continue their momentum from the series’ last race at Circuit of The Americas in May.

As was the case at COTA, DXDT Racing will field the No. 63 Corvette for factory driver Tommy Milner and Alec Udell in the series’ Pro class and another in Pro-Am – the No. 08 for Bryan Sellers and Scott Smithson.

Milner, racing this weekend at his home track, and Udell are coming off a sweep of the weekend at COTA in the debut of the Pro-class Z06 GT3.R. That followed a promising Sebring debut for the Corvette GT3 entry in the hands of Smithson and Sellers.

Corvettes have a successful track record at fast and flowing VIR with six victories for the Corvette Racing program there since 2012. The 3.27-mile, 17-turn road course in southern Virginia has been the site of numerous tests for past racing Corvettes as well as a site for tests of the Z06 GT3.R in its development phase.

In addition to the sweep at COTA, the Corvette Z06 GT3.R is coming off its first IMSA victory in the hands of Corvette Racing by Pratt Miller Motorsports. Corvettes finished 1-2 in GTD PRO at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park with Milner part of the runner-up effort in the team’s No. 4 Z06 GT3.R.

DXDT Racing will race in the first of two GT World Challenge America races at VIR at 3:10 p.m. ET on Saturday, followed by Sunday’s second race at 2:15 p.m. ET. Live coverage of both races plus timing & scoring will be available at gt-world-challenge-america.com and SRO’s GT World YouTube channel.

DXDT RACING PRE-EVENT DRIVER QUOTES

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 63 CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06 GT3.R: “Corvettes have been very good in the past at VIR. The C8.R was really good there. Tracks like Canadian Tire Motorsport Park and Laguna Seca have suited this car pretty well, and I think VIR will follow along. As we’ve seen so far this year with the Z06 GT3.R, the style of racetrack lends itself to what this car does so well. I’m always excited to race there. It’s kind of my hometrack. The people are great – Connie (Nyholm), Kerrigan (Smith) and Mike (Rose)… all just great people to work with and they put on a good show for the fans.

“With DXDT having done Sebring and COTA, things are still a little new to and they’re still learning about the Corvettes. But the feeling is that they have a decent handle on the cars at this point. It helps by having a couple of Pratt Miller engineers to help along the way. So it does help speed up the learning curve.”

ALEC UDELL, NO. 63 CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06 GT3.R: “I’m looking forward to being back behind the wheel of the DXDT Corvette Z06 GT3.R with Tommy in GT World Challenge America. It’s a wonderful series and I really enjoy the competition there. We’re looking to build on the success of the last round at COTA and to continue the momentum that the Corvettes have gained over the last few rounds in IMSA and other worldwide competition. It could definitely be a tricky one this weekend at VIR. It’s a classic American circuit with high commitment and high risk. There’s a risk of rain like there always is in the summer in Virginia. I’m looking forward to navigating those tricky conditions, trying the Corvette in the wet for the first time and continuing to learn as much as I can throughout the process."

BRYAN SELLERS, NO. 08 CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06 GT3.R: “I love VIR. It’s such a special place for so many reasons. There’s the fan side of you that loves the history, the layout and the beauty of it. You have the driver’s side that loves the purity it still possess that is so different from many other tracks we go to. And not to mention that it’s such a great layout. It’s a good racetrack and fun to drive. It races well, which I think is super-important. I think the Corvette will suit it very well. It’s a track that it will excel at. The more time we can continue to get our hands on the car and get familiar with it, the more we’ll grow and the better we will become. If you look at Austin, we had really good results with the 63 car. We all went away happy but still striving to improve and gain more. That’ll be our goal at VIR – to take the next step and hopefully get both cars in contention and on the podium. There’s still a massive learning curve and it’s a big undertaking, but we are moving in the right direction.”

Ryan Smith
Judy Kouba Dominick
1721242896702.png

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom