Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Corvette Saftey Rating

H

Hummer256

Hello Everyone,
I have been looking into a 1971 Corvette, however i have had no luck in finding how it faired during saftey tests and all that. I know a corvette isnt meant to be crashed ;) , but my wife won't let me get one unless its safe. Could anyone help me out?

:beer
:r
hehe, i love those

Oh dear Lord!

Here we go again! :L :L Sorry Hummer (err...this is getting out of hand :L ). Again sorry, dude. I don't have any facts for you, but the olds days just didn't have the crumple zones and other safety stuff. I can't remember when crash tests started, but I don't think these older cars were tested back then, for all I know. Good luck finding a '71, I absolutely love mine. BTW, go into the Introduction forum and introduce yourself, if you don't mind. Welcome to the CACC! --Bullitt

Hummer,

Welcome to the CAC!

As far as safety test results go, I have no idea. I do believe, however, that the 71 Vette was the first to have the reinforcements in the doors for side impact. I'll try to see if anything I have shows any safety results but I seriously doubt I'll find anything. Like Bullitt, I too love my 71 and so will you when you find yours. Good luck!

wow, this is a great community, i posted this sometime this morning and already have many helpful replies. 71shark, even if you dont find anything, thanks for looking. I dont really need anything 'official', more along the lines of any stories you've heard. For instance i heard that a guy hit a Semi in the rear going 90 and walked away from it. with that i am impressed but it may be total rumor and thats why i am posting here today

-Cheers! :beer

corvette stability

hi

i Think the corvette has a very robust frame made from steel .because of its lonf nose impact from front is should hold some punishment.only from the side a crash into a door is dangerouse i think because you alreadt are very close attachet to the door frame itself .but i am not an expert in safety systems of cars.

Buy Judas Vette

Hummer,

Welcome to CACC and hopefully to Corvette ownership in the near future.

I must say however, that saftey and early sharks do not fit in the same sentence very well.

Early on in the shark world, seatbelts were still an option and are not anchored into much. You also have the problem of some cars having rusty frames. That means that even with the factory seatbelts etc, they may not function very well.

The rules were just plain different back then. I can tell you some amazing stories of survival in wicked crashes. However, there are just as many tragic ones.

I would say that if this is a concern, keep to a t-top car as they will do much better in a roll over or any other type of crash, keep the horse power down unless you are very comfortable keeping mondo hsp under control, and or get some supervised track time with the car and learn its limits under controlled conditions.

In the end, it is most likely the fellow in the SUV you have to worry about that is trying to yak on his cell phone and read his day planner. If you respect your car and fear its power you will be just fine.

69MyWay said:
If you respect your car and fear its power you will be just fine.

Very well said Chris.

- Eric

71Shark said:
I do believe, however, that the 71 Vette was the first to have the reinforcements in the doors for side impact.

It was in 73 that the door side impact beams were installed.

tom...

Hummer,

My wife was the same way, wouldn't ride in it, drove it once, always wanted me to get rid of them.

God I miss her, so does the other guy she married. :t

If you compare being rolled up in a ball of sheet metal and then being cut out by EMTs to the Corvettes shattered class (composits) I think it's the luck of the draw.

:confused

Tom73 said:
It was in 73 that the door side impact beams were installed.
tom...

Thanks Tom, memory failing, must reload :L:L.

- Eric

This image may not answer the safty question but the guy driving the Corvette is standing beside it telling the officer how the Cadillac smashed up his Corvette while he was driving it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom