Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

corvette vs camaro z-28

johnohio

Corvette
2008 crystal red convertible
I read a article where Chevrolet is going to bring out the camaro z-28 with 556 horsepower. I think that any car that chevrolet builds ought to have a lesser horsepower rating than the corvette. I know the zr-1 has 638 but the camaro will have more than the ZO6 at 505 and the base vette at 430. I just think the corvette ought to be king of the chevrolet sports cars!

I read a article where Chevrolet is going to bring out the camaro z-28 with 556 horsepower. I think that any car that chevrolet builds ought to have a lesser horsepower rating than the corvette. I know the zr-1 has 638 but the camaro will have more than the ZO6 at 505 and the base vette at 430. I just think the corvette ought to be king of the chevrolet sports cars!

I agree

The good thing is the Corvette and Camaro attract different customers. GM is building a luxury 2-door CTS-V with the same 556 hp motor at a nice $65k or more price tag. Putting that motor in the Camaro seems like a no-brainer for GM and they can see it to the non-Cadillac crowd and spread the cost of building them out to more cars.

You might also want to consider that Camaro competes head to head with the Mustang Cobra which has 550 hp for 2011. GM has to have a comparable Camaro for that.

The Camaro also weights 500# more than the standard or ZO6 Vette. Even with more hp than the ZO6, the Z will still toast the Camaro.

corvette vs camaro

I see your point but if they are giving the camaro that much horsepower than they ought to give the vette as much or more. It just doesn't seem right that a 556 horse camaro z-28 can pull up to my 430 horse convertible and blow its doors. The vette has to be the undisputed king of Chevrolet-PERIOD!

I see your point but if they are giving the camaro that much horsepower than they ought to give the vette as much or more. It just doesn't seem right that a 556 horse camaro z-28 can pull up to my 430 horse convertible and blow its doors. The vette has to be the undisputed king of Chevrolet-PERIOD!

I suppose we'll have to do some mods to our Vettes. I bet Vette gets more HP in the '12 model....Gives us reason to go out and get another Vette....justifying by more HP. Hell, I just bought a new one....and that's it for good while for me. New one in '09 and new one in '10......I work for a living....so no more new ones for me for awhile.....besides, I got what I wanted anyway....:D

The 556 motor, already used in the CTS V, is outclassed by the ZR1, which is still king of the GM hill. If you need to have the absolute highest HP, order the "ZR1 option."

May you're not seeing my point. The Vette is the undisputed king of Chevrolet with the ZR1. You're trying to compare apples to oranges - the supercharged Camaro is the top of the line Camaro. Your Vette is the 'base' model.

The new Camaro would be the equivalent of the Cobra and when I compare Cobra's performance numbers against a 'base' Vette, the 'base' Vette is very close. I'd say the a race between a supercharged Camaro would come down to the driver's ability.

I say let Chevy put the LSA in the Camaro.

BFD.

The new Camaro, while a great looking car and an outstanding interpretation of "retro styling" is a big, heavy pig of a car. Chevrolet says 3850-lbs for the SS. A Z28, with the blower hardware, will probably weigh in at a portly 3950-4000 lbs.

Anyone with a C6 Z06 (3175 lbs) and even basic performance driving skills ought to be able to roast a stock Camaro Z28 with the supercharged motor.

Stop worrying about horsepower and understand the laws of physics then you know Corvette is still "King"

corvette vs camaro

I would get a Zo6 or a ZR-1 if they made convertibles!

BFD.

The new Camaro, while a great looking car and an outstanding interpretation of "retro styling" is a big, heavy pig of a car. Chevrolet says 3850-lbs for the SS. A Z28, with the blower hardware, will probably weigh in at a portly 3950-4000 lbs.

Anyone with a C6 Z06 (3175 lbs) and even basic performance driving skills ought to be able to roast a stock Camaro Z28 with the supercharged motor.

Stop worrying about horsepower and understand the laws of physics then you know Corvette is still "King"

You mean horsepower and computer CPU speed are not the only things that count? Physics? What is that...

CG

BFD.

Absolutely agreed. Get the mass out of this ass and move on to the required Cobra destruction.

btw, no ragtop Z-06 or ZR-1's. Structural rigidity top priority to handle all that small block Chevy power! (I'd love to see an LS big block :W )

BFD.

Hib, what is a 'LSA'? Is that the new engine? Have you seen the thread bout this guy who bought a 2010 base Vette and it's vibrating and he can't seem to get anything done......can you tell him what to do????

Hib, what is a 'LSA'? Is that the new engine? Have you seen the thread bout this guy who bought a 2010 base Vette and it's vibrating and he can't seem to get anything done......can you tell him what to do????

LSA is the engine RPO for the 556 hp supercharged engine used in the CTS-V cars.

Hib, what is a 'LSA'? Is that the new engine?

As "Tuna" says, the LSA is the 550-hp version of the supercharged Gen 4. Actually...when I say "LSA", I'm making the assumption that the engine which will be in the Z28 is either the LSA or a derivation of it based on my belief that, because of the cost of certifying powertrains, GM will use an engine which is already certified.

Have you seen the thread bout this guy who bought a 2010 base Vette and it's vibrating and he can't seem to get anything done......can you tell him what to do????

I did post to a thread sort of like that earlier this morning, but it was NOT a case where he couldn't get any help. The original poster said that he had yet to contact a dealer for help and was asking CAC members' opinions. Is that the thread about which you are talking?

i dont think its that bad that the camaro z28 is coming out with 556 hp. i kinda like it because its gonna look good on chevy because its becoming a power house on Horse Power and dont forget looks ha ha !!!!!!!

As "Tuna" says, the LSA is the 550-hp version of the supercharged Gen 4. Actually...when I say "LSA", I'm making the assumption that the engine which will be in the Z28 is either the LSA or a derivation of it based on my belief that, because of the cost of certifying powertrains, GM will use an engine which is already certified.

What is the cost for a manufacturer to "Certify--SAE J2723" an engine?

When Motor Trend magazine publishes road test data, they always put an asterisk(*) beside power ratings for GM engines along with a *SAE Certified notation at the bottom of the page. I purposely look for the "Certified" designation for other manufacturers engines, but cannot remember any manufacturer, other than one engine from Ford, getting the "Certified" designation. Is the cost of Certification so high that others do not bother with the SAE J2723 certification process?

Ford's new 412 HP Coyote engine is not marked as Certified by Motor Trend and I never saw the designation for Chrysler's 425 HP, 6.1 liter, SRT V8 Hemi. When Ford came out with their 500 HP Shelby Mustang V-8 it was marked with the Certified designation, but that is the only other engine, beside those from GM, that I recall Motor Trend marking as "Certified."

Base model LS3 Vette vs LSA S/C Camaro. Again, considering the Camaro is heavier and significantly less aerodynamic. My best assumption would be in the straight line, the Camaro would have the advantage, but by how much? I wouldnt imagine too much. However, the vette still shines in its handling (something ive become very fond of when i upgraded from my '96 Camaro Z28 to my '94 Vette). And on the mountain roads of my daily commute, the vette would most likely win a race in that category. Hence I would still take a base model C6 over the top of the line 5th gen Camaro.

I also imagine they will be charging a pretty penny for the new Z28s for a while, like they have been doing with the SS. Im not saying the new camaro is bad, I kind of like it. But again as mentioned before here, completely different category of car.

Uh....:chuckle....take a look at the engine in a Z06. It's a 427 cubic inch LS.

Still considered a small block :p . However can achieve big block displacement.

Uh....:chuckle....take a look at the engine in a Z06. It's a 427 cubic inch LS.

heh, heh, I know, the biggest stock small block out there - I love it. Wonder what a 507 would be like in the LS series (besides aluminum).

I guess what we're headin for won't involve any more rip-snortin' fire breathin' V8s, probably greater efficiency - 500 hp 5.5L or something similar.

Onward >>>>>>

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom