Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

corvette vs camaro z-28

Similar to the Challenger / Viper comparison. 2 totally different vehicles and 1 is clearly the flagship. :w

What is the cost for a manufacturer to "Certify--SAE J2723" an engine?

(snip)

The certification I was talking about was not SAE J2723. That is simply a standard by which engine dynamometer testing is conducted.

The "certification" process about which I was talking is the various Federal and State exhaust emissions certifications and the Federal fuel economy certification that each powertrain must undergo. That costs millions of dollars. That price is, also, only going to rise because the Government seems inclined to allow a sort of "Balkanization" of State emissions standards which will force GM and other car companies to "certifiy" powertrains to a multitude of different standards rather than one Federal standard.

The cost of the certification process is one reason Corvette's powertrain shares many general characteristics with that in GM full-sized trucks.

The Corvette powertrain would not exist in the form we know it today if it wasn't for the vast production numbers and profits which have come from GM's full-sized truck platforms.

The certification I was talking about was not SAE J2723. That is simply a standard by which engine dynamometer testing is conducted.

The certification about which I was talking is the exhaust emissions certification and the fuel economy certification that each platform must undergo. That costs millions of dollars.

:thumb

Thanks for the clarifying.

As "Tuna" says, the LSA is the 550-hp version of the supercharged Gen 4. Actually...when I say "LSA", I'm making the assumption that the engine which will be in the Z28 is either the LSA or a derivation of it based on my belief that, because of the cost of certifying powertrains, GM will use an engine which is already certified.

I did post to a thread sort of like that earlier this morning, but it was NOT a case where he couldn't get any help. The original poster said that he had yet to contact a dealer for help and was asking CAC members' opinions. Is that the thread about which you are talking?

No, this guy had been to dealer twice. They keep telling him that the tires are balanced and he's complaining that there's vibration in steering wheel and thinks it's the right front tire, but dealer won't seem to do anything bout it. If I understand correctly he even went to independent tire shop and confirmed to him that it's the right front tire. (causing the vibration....If I remember correctly I think his handle was 'jbaro' or something similiar to that...

I would get a Zo6 or a ZR-1 if they made convertibles!

Then Z06's and ZR1's wouldn't be Z0's or ZR's if they were verts....this is coming from previous '09 Z51 Roadster ownership to present ownership of '10 Z06 (1 of 518 in '10) and design philosophy and requirements of 200+ mph car........:)

What is the dividing line between big block and small block?

The actual size of the engine block itself is the "dividing line", not necessarily its displacement. Seeing that GM has made 396, 427, 454 etc.. big blocks back in the olden days. For the most part, they have been phased out.

It is pretty easy to spot the size difference between the SBC and the BBC. I usually look at the size of the heads and valve cover width when looking in an engine bay. Hope this answers your question in a nutshell.

*Off Topic, apologize for the hijacking, back to regular discussion.

I would get a Zo6 or a ZR-1 if they made convertibles!

Don't think the Zo6/ZR-1 would be structurally sound if they made them convertible. That much power and handling ability, the convertible would flex and just not do it any justice.

What is the dividing line between big block and small block?

As it applies to Chevrolet engines, the term Big Block vs Small Block had more to do with physical outside dimensions then displacement. That being said, yes the prior generations of large displacement engines were in fact "Big Blocks", mainly because the small outside dimensions of the Small Block limited the bore and hence the displacement. A quick look at the mark formerly known as "Pontiac" shows a family of engines that displacementwise went from the 265 ci from the '80s to the 455 ci. All based on the same basic block. Not a small block or a big block... just a Pontiac.

I'm probably the only guy in here who couldn't care less about the endless "who is bigger" argument that has been going on since the dawn of time. I'm pretty sure 100,000 years ago a couple of cavemen were arguing over whose wife could carry more wood. The corvette and the camaro are very different cars, both good in their own way, why isn't that enough? Besides, the base corvette has more than enough power for 99.9% of all consumers. You .1% guys crack me up.

I've heard the upcoming Z-28 Camaro will get the LS7. Don't know if it'll be "tuned for torque" instead of peak power or not, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I recently drove the CTS V coupe at montecello raceway ...and as great as the cts v coupe is...and it really is great..

Its still no 2 seat sports car.

I went up with the blessing of my spouse to buy a cts v coupe...(if I wanted it) and I really did want to like it....as it has the 2 plus two seating....and the luxury that the over 50 crowd can appreciate..

Truth be told at the end of the day when I got into my 08 c6 M6 z51 coupe...

There was no comparision to which I enjoyed driving more...

The CTS V coupe and my vette have about the same acceleration but who cares..

Its a totally different driving experience and at the end of the day...as awesome as the cTS V coupe was....The vette rules.

Same with the very cool upcoming Camaro Z28.

I say GM build the best in every category you can and sell the most of all the vehicles you can.....

because we need to make sure you have the money to keep building the best corvettes you can......

I read a article where Chevrolet is going to bring out the camaro z-28 with 556 horsepower. I think that any car that chevrolet builds ought to have a lesser horsepower rating than the corvette. I know the zr-1 has 638 but the camaro will have more than the ZO6 at 505 and the base vette at 430. I just think the corvette ought to be king of the chevrolet sports cars!

Think power to weight ratio and you won't feel as bad.

Also, the Camaro uses the LSA with the "little" R1900 supercharger. The ZR1 uses the LS9 with the big R2300 blower.

But then...if you still feel bad, you can buy Edelbrock's new E-Force supercharger for LS7. Imagine what performance that will make! With a stock C6 hood, too boot.

Don't think the Zo6/ZR-1 would be structurally sound if they made them convertible. That much power and handling ability, the convertible would flex and just not do it any justice.
The europeans don't seem to have much trouble making supercars in convertibles-why would chevy?

The europeans don't seem to have much trouble making supercars in convertibles-why would chevy?

Considering that there are not that many ragtop versions of european supercars out there. And even those take a hit in the handling department, if you watch the show Top Gear, every supercar convertible they drive, they usually mention how the chassis flexes when they floor the car and/or take it on a handling run.

It takes more engineering resources to produce a high performance convertible that is structurally stable, since with the absence of 1 (or 2 pillars sometimes). That means they need to find locations within the body to reinforce to try to minimise the inevitable flex, hence a big factor why convertibles cost significantly more then hard-tops. So, i would imagine if gm ever made a convertible version of the Z06, it would prolly cost 6-10 grand more, not to mention it probably wouldnt sell as well as the hard-top. So i think GM made the right decision not to make a convertible version, seeing it would only cost more tax payer dollar to invest in a version of a car that probably wouldnt sell as well.

Also, alot fo the euro supercars that are convertible are heavy, the Zo6/ZR1 is around the low 3000's lbs, while a majority of these convertible supercars are high 3000's lbs to mid 4000's lbs. So, more materials in the lower structure of the supercar.

Another factor is feasibility, i am assuming that the GM engineers were focused on a "affordable" supercar for the people, hence the Zo6. And their target demographic is the performance enthusiast, and not the pleasure cruising enthusiast (i figure most convertible drivers are concerned more for the apeal of a convertible vs its performance.). Production costs are lower when you only make one version of a model . In addition what would you do if you have a race inspired 505 HP car. Well, i would drive the hell out of it, i would take it to the mountain roads, tracks and drag strip. A convertible would lag behind in all those areas, and would not do a car with that much power any justice.

And then there is safety, i have been in a rollover accident, and believe me that it was a very scary experience. If you roll over in a hardtop, there is that additional reinforcement by the pillars. But in a convertible, all you have is the slanted front windshield piller protecting you.... not very reassuring.

Theres nothing stopping (other then money) anyone from putting a supercharger or other high performance upgrades on their convertible, but the flex would be more knoticeable. Also, the additional wear and tear on the chassis would be a reliability issue. I hope this explains some things to you.

*Sorry for thread hijacking, back on to the Camaro Vs. Corvette Aspect

The engineering team designing the corvette Z06 aluminum chassis did not design the aluminum chassis as a convertible because the Z06 has always been a hardtop design.

Its part of the charm of the Z06..

If people want a convertible Corvette then just order one..The corvette grand sport convertible weighs all of 100 or so lbs more than the Z06...with 436hp...3300 lbs is well designed if you ask me.

Want 2 seats? buy a vette.

Need or want a 2 + 2 sport coupe? Then order up the 44 grand Z/28.

If you watched the show top gear the Ferrari 430 spider handled as good and was as fast as the 430 coupe -these cars have about the same horse as the Z06.Ferrari is coming out with the 458 Italia spider next year an it will have 570 horsepower. I hear that rigidity thing all the time- They were saying that with the 3oo horse convertibles but they managed to get them to 436 horses and in five years or less there will be even more horsepower in the convertibles. Chevrolet will build them and people will buy them-alittle more horse at a time-until the government shuts them down-like they did in the 70's.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom