Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: cosmetics and performance

markmark

Corvette
2001 Z51 navy blue metallic coupe
Hello to all of my Corvette family. My 01' coupe is comming up on brakes, and was wondering if you folks could help me on a cosmetic question. My front calipers are red and say Corvette on them. The rears are a different story. The calipers are "naked". They have the appearance of "stock" calipers that you would find on any american car. Is this normal for a stock C5? Are there covers available for the rear caliper assembly? Also, I am thinking of going to slotted/cross-drilled rotors. Besides the aspect of these rotors looking so cool, has anyone noticed a difference in braking after installing them? Thank you folks in advance. mark. remember the wave:w.

In C5 only the Z06 came with painted calipers (front & back). As for the rotors the cross drilled ones have the tendency to develop cracks, however they do look better. Your stock rotors are more then enough for regular driving. The C6 Z51 & Z06 came with drilled rotors.

Only the Z06 had the red calipers. I see you have a coupe, so the previous owner must have either painted or powdercoated the fronts (or replaced them with Z06 units... though there is no difference other than the color). The difference between front/rear is normal; the rears are smaller, one piston (vs. 2 up front), and no Corvette lettering. There are covers available, but it won't give you a matched look.

Drilled rotors are weaker, but if you don't drive your car hard, it won't be an issue. Slotted rotors don't compromise the structural integrity (provided the slot doesn't extend to the outer edge), and they actually help prevent glazing by their constant "wiping" action (which also slightly decreases pad life).

Hello to all of my Corvette family. My 01' coupe is comming up on brakes, and was wondering if you folks could help me on a cosmetic question. My front calipers are red and say Corvette on them. The rears are a different story. The calipers are "naked". They have the appearance of "stock" calipers that you would find on any american car. Is this normal for a stock C5? Are there covers available for the rear caliper assembly? Also, I am thinking of going to slotted/cross-drilled rotors. Besides the aspect of these rotors looking so cool, has anyone noticed a difference in braking after installing them? Thank you folks in advance. mark. remember the wave:w.
I don't know what I was thinking, but my front calipers are a machine grey color w/corvette across them. You would think that for as much time as I spend polishing her that I would have known. Thanks for the info on the brake rotors gang, gave me something to think about. mark.remember the wave:w

I have been looking around at the various parts houses online, and am curious. Are the Z51 optioned cars equipped with larger rotors? Some are advertised all C5's except Z51. Not all are advertised in this manner. Does anyone know? Thanks. mark. remember the wave:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom