Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Could these things be related?

crause

Corvette
75 Convertible-steel blue / 2000 lt. pewter conv.
I have searched and can't find my exact problem. I have a2000 convertible with 33k miles. A few months ago my battery went dead and was replaced. This began a string of problems that I can't help but believe aresomehow related. Was having no problem with any of these things before batt. problem.
#1: fuel gauge will go to empty when above 1/2 tank. did all the additive thingand still malfunctioning.
#2: TPM service message on DIC at random times. The receiver cannot locate thefront left reading which generates the message. I did the wheel sensor reset several times and will accept each tire with the horn blow. I is always the front left that it can't find. It is not giving me a low tire pressure warning but a service TPM system message.
#3: A/C air is colder on pass. side than drivers side. tried all of the reset suggestions posted here and had a little improvement but can still feel the difference in temp.

Today everything was working fine; the fuel gauge was below half and working,TPM was working and getting signals from all four tire sensors with listed tire pressure. I added fuel and was careful not to fill it all the way up to see if that would make a difference. Started it up and gas gauge read a little over 3/4. All going fine for about an hour and after several starts and stops. After an approx. 45 min. drive, the fuel gauge went to empty with associated warning(check gauges) within a few minutes of this the TPM lost contact with the left front tire and threw the "Service TPM System" message on the DIC.AGGGGHHHH
:duh

Now I am thinking that these two things are related and that it doesn't have anything to do the fuel affecting the sending unit contacts or the wheel sensor not sending a signal but a problem with the receiver. The temp. difference on the dash vents is the only constant.
I am hoping that someone will read this and say; OH Yea, I had that same thing and it was a simple fix; just do this.........

I hate to bring it to the Dealer, even though they have a good Corvette mechanic; these types of problems usually result in lots of parts thrown at the problem and little results. Could it be a ground problem in the area of the TPMS and the fuel sending unit (I understand they are both located behind the drivers seat; could this be a coinsidence?)
I wait with anticipation for your knowledgeable input:thanks:

Post up any codes both History and Current!
Don't clear any yet!:thumb

How to Pull Codes: C5
1. Turn your key to the "ON" position, but do not start the engine.
2. Clear any present messages by pressing the RESET button.
3. Hold the OPTIONS button down, and press the FUEL button 4 times. (This will get you into the "codes" section of the DIC.
4. The computer will automatically display all the codes your car has created. It will cycle through each code every 3 seconds. (Have a pen and paper handy to write down the codes)

Note: Any code that ends in an "H" is a history code (something that has occurred in the past, but is not reporting as an error currently.)

5. Once the computer has finished going through all of its codes, press RESET to enter Manual Configuration mode. It should start with a module and show "NO CODES" or "# Codes."
6. To optionally reset codes once in manual mode, press and hold RESET until is displays "NO CODES."
7. Press OPTIONS to go into the next module (ie, from PCM, or Powertrain Control Module, to TCS, or Traction Control System.)
8. Repeat Step 6 until you have reset all the codes in all the computer modules.

Note: Only reset the codes if you want to- it is not necessary to reset them every time you pull the codes.

9. When finished, simply take your key out of the ignition.

I can see tight through the issues you are having.

#1: fuel gauge will go to empty when above 1/2 tank. did all the additive thingand still malfunctioning.

There are two things involved with this issue. First, there is the reprogramming of the PCM as required by this TSB. Second, EXACTLY what fuel additive have you been using to resolve this issue? Not "I think I used" or "it was something like", I need to know EXACTLY what you used. The exact name.

#2: TPM service message on DIC at random times. The receiver cannot locate the front left reading which generates the message.

Your TPM sensors are powered by a battery. Your batteries are 12 years old. Wish as you might, they are not going to last forever. My left front gave out 2 years ago and that's on a 2001.

#3: A/C air is colder on pass. side than drivers side. tried all of the reset suggestions posted here and had a little improvement but can still feel the difference in temp.

There could be a few things going on here but as Jesse suggested, you need to pull your codes first before you do anything. There is a thread on CM going on in which I have posted a lot of information about the AC, which is similar to your issue. The key here is that YOU are going to have to do some reading AND pulling of your codes in order to figure out which issue you have. Break out some popcorn. There's a lot of reading to do.

could these things be related

try disco both battery cables for 24 hours pull battery have load tested ! CHARGE BATTERY, clean cables&battery posts. also check voltage before & after charge .erase all codes before disco battery GOOD LUCK :happyanim: :w:pat :v

Fuel level sensors on C5s (mainly earlier cars) have been a problem. There are a couple of stratigies to fix them, including the most costly, replacement of the sensor. I'd start by treating the fuel with a detergent-based fuel system additive. The best two are Red Line Complete Fuel System Cleaner and Chevron Techron. I'd run three bottles of Red Line CFSC through the system, using one full bottle per fill-up.

As for the TPM problem, it was said earlier that the sensors are battery powered but not serviceable. While there's a chance the sensor simply went dead, the proper way to address the issue is run the diagnostic tests in the service manual. That way you rule-out any problems with other components in the TPM system before you buy any parts.

Does the car have "dual-zone" A/C?

Could these things be related

Thanx HIB ,I run CITGO 93 octane, or SUNOCO 93 or SHELL 93,in my mild mod 00 C-5. I use CHEVRON TECH cleaner maybe every 9th tank. Is this good enough ??? ? is AMSOIL FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER any good?? I do belive SHELL 93 in :happyanim: my C-5, with 92000 miles runs best. SHELL 93 costs the most !! :w :pat What do you think??? AUTOZONE has CHEVRON TECH CLEANER alot of times.. on sale C-YA LIFE IS SHORT ?ENJOY THE RIDE !!!

Thanx HIB ,I run CITGO 93 octane, or SUNOCO 93 or SHELL 93,in my mild mod 00 C-5. I use CHEVRON TECH cleaner maybe every 9th tank. Is this good enough ??? ? is AMSOIL FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER any good?? I do belive SHELL 93 in :happyanim: my C-5, with 92000 miles runs best. SHELL 93 costs the most !! :w :pat What do you think??? AUTOZONE has CHEVRON TECH CLEANER alot of times.. on sale C-YA LIFE IS SHORT ?ENJOY THE RIDE !!!

I have used different fuel cleaners in my Corvette to solve the fuel gauge issue (including a LOT of TechronPLUS), and the ONLY additive that I found to consistently work was Gumout's Fuel Injector Cleaner. My problem started around 2004 on my 2001 model and since I began using the Gumout product, the problem has went away completely. Any of the Gumout fuel cleaner products will work. I'm surprised that so many people don't know about this solution because I have posted it on every Corvette forum I know of. I use a bottle of it in every 4-5 tank fulls and the Gumout product is WAY cheaper than TechronPlus. Also, just about every gas station carries the Gumout product (unlike TechronPLUS).

just had time to pull codes

ok, i pulled the codes today and it is unbelieveable how fast these things come across. I think I got the important ones.
#1: 99-HVAC : U1160 HC
#2: BO-RFA : U1096-H / U1064-H / U1016-H / C2100-H

These are random codes that flashed up during the process so fast that i am not sure where they came from:
P0461-H
P1431-HC
P0461-H

I think this was all of them.
Here is some good new though; while resetting the codes, my fuel gauge poped up and started working. :happyanim:
not sure how long it will keep working but i will keep up the additive program.

First off, you can stop the codes from displaying automatically and put the codes into manual mode. This way you can actually take your time to see what the codes are and what module they are set in. You can stop the automatic mode and send the DIC into manual mode by pressing any button except the E/M button (that button causes the DIC to exit the diagnostic mode). You can then scroll through the codes using the Gauges button to go forward, and the Fuel button to go backwards.

Your fuel gauge issue will continue once the code sets again. You didn't say what additive you're using so I can't help you there. There is also a PCM update that probably needs to be performed on your vehicle. Only your dealer can tell you if this is so. Until you perform this update (if necessary), you're just wasting your time posting about the issue.

Some of what I have posted has already been discussed in this thread. I suggest you go back and reread the entire thread as you are obviously missing this valuable information.

I think I have had enough!!!

I would like to first thank all the people that tried to help and you are all a great bunch of folks. I believe that I have reached the point where owning this C5 is no longer fun. The electrical gremlins have gotten the best of me and now that I have retired, I don't have the money to keep dumping into this car by bringing it to the Dealer or a qualified technician. In relation to the issues listed above, I have read post and google searches until my eyes were bleeding and have come to one final conclusion; GM did not live up to consumers standards when producing a vehicle that cost this much. What engineer would develope a fuel sending unit that can't stand up to being in gasoline all the time. The basic fuel we use today is of better quality that in 2000 when this thing was new. They couldn't make a seat that wouldn't "rocking chair" after a few years. A/C actuators that regularly fail, batteries that leak and get acid all over the main computer and wiring. I could go on and on; you all know the issues.
The bottom line is that GM built this thing (even the new ones are having some of the same problems) with very poor quality control.
I am going to sell the 2000 and the 1975 and get something with a better track record that is still a convertible.
It is hard to enjoy something that everytime you get in it something new is wrong. Oh yea, I forgot to mention that when I took it out this morning, the drivers side door will not lock and unlock with the key fob. you can work it with the door button and it will lock when you put it in gear but not with the fob. I went through the re-learning process but it did not correct the problem. Tried to clean some ground connections; no luck. Sweat pouring off my head and nothing to show in the way of progress.
Hope you are enjoying yours more than me :beer

Sorry you feel that way. With all the work that I have done to mine, I still believe that you can't get more bang for your buck. The issues that you are having are known issues with known fixes. However, if you don't turn the screws on your ride, I can see why you feel the way you do and why it would also be so costly. Good luck with what you decide to go with. :)

I would like to first thank all the people that tried to help and you are all a great bunch of folks. I believe that I have reached the point where owning this C5 is no longer fun. The electrical gremlins have gotten the best of me and now that I have retired, I don't have the money to keep dumping into this car by bringing it to the Dealer or a qualified technician. In relation to the issues listed above, I have read post and google searches until my eyes were bleeding and have come to one final conclusion; GM did not live up to consumers standards when producing a vehicle that cost this much. What engineer would develope a fuel sending unit that can't stand up to being in gasoline all the time. The basic fuel we use today is of better quality that in 2000 when this thing was new. They couldn't make a seat that wouldn't "rocking chair" after a few years. A/C actuators that regularly fail, batteries that leak and get acid all over the main computer and wiring. I could go on and on; you all know the issues.
The bottom line is that GM built this thing (even the new ones are having some of the same problems) with very poor quality control.
I am going to sell the 2000 and the 1975 and get something with a better track record that is still a convertible.
It is hard to enjoy something that everytime you get in it something new is wrong. Oh yea, I forgot to mention that when I took it out this morning, the drivers side door will not lock and unlock with the key fob. you can work it with the door button and it will lock when you put it in gear but not with the fob. I went through the re-learning process but it did not correct the problem. Tried to clean some ground connections; no luck. Sweat pouring off my head and nothing to show in the way of progress.
Hope you are enjoying yours more than me :beer

Sorry for all the issues, but I agree w/ Junkman, all these are known & fixable. You have to be patient & follow some diagnostic procedures, can't expect to bang on the dash 3 times & all is fixed.

I like to try & stay factual in the threads & not go off on how "good" the cars used to be, so just for the facts, gasoline is getting much worse than it was a few years ago, lower octane, ethanol in most parts of the country, less lead (well maybe that one is ok) but it's a wonder any of the truly high performance cars run well at all, boutique blends for all different parts of the country has caused the price to go higher than it needs to be. So don't put 100% of the fuel gauge problem on GM, they don't produce gas.

Good luck with your issues.

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom