Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Could this be a bad fan clutch?

Tim81

Corvette
81 Black on Black Corvette
Hi Everyone,

I had the car out on the highway today and noticed the coolant temp was up around 220 F. It didn't go any higher then that and when I got the car back on regular roads the temp came down to just under 200 F. which is where it always runs in the city. The air temp today was 85 F. and when I parked the car the coolant temp was above 200 F. and I could spin the fan blades (with the engine off) rather easily. Do you think the cooling fan clutch is bad?
P.S. New Radiator and water pump, 180 degree stat.
Thanks Tim

Start the engine. Let it run a bit. Turn the engine off. If the fan continues to spin more than three or four revolutions after the engine has shut down, the clutch is bad.

:thumb

The fan contributes nothing to cooling once vehicle speed gets over 30 mph or so.

If your engine is running hot at highway speeds, the root cause is not the fan clutch.

Make sure the front air dam is intact.
Make sure any sponge-rubber used to prevent air flow from bypassing the radiator are in place.
Make sure cooling passages in the engine are not restricted.
Make sure the new water pump, radiator and thermostat are not defective.

The fan contributes nothing to cooling once vehicle speed gets over 30 mph or so.

If your engine is running hot at highway speeds, the root cause is not the fan clutch.

Make sure the front air dam is intact.
Make sure any sponge-rubber used to prevent air flow from bypassing the radiator are in place.
Make sure cooling passages in the engine are not restricted.
Make sure the new water pump, radiator and thermostat are not defective.

Hib,

Are you saying that after 30+ MPH one could eliminate the fan completely and the car shouldn't overheat? Thanks for your input.

yes,the fan is not needed after 30MPH!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom