Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Couple of pictures of the 63 SWC Project

61 Silver

Corvette
1961 270HP and 1963 340HP
I am coming down the home stretch with the 1963 SWC restoration. I thought I would share a couple of pictures.

I have all the coolant hoses and electrical hooked up and I am just about ready to fire the engine for the first time since rebuild. I need to secure a fuel sending unit.

DSC00815.JPG

The interior is almost complete. There is a couple of bad spots, one bump and a very uneven edge on the left Al Knoch dash pad and I hoping they will replace it.
DSC00821.JPG

awesome Ray! :beer

she is looking great. Can't wait to hear how the first fire goes. hope you video it so we can all share in the excitement

WOW break neck speed.

Its just not me,Car can be restored in a reasonable time. It doesnt have to take 5 years

Just to refresh every bodys memory I think this is when he got started
\http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66324

Looks great now is when it gets tough to get out of the garage because you start thinking "I just have to finish this one thing and I will call it a night" next thing you know its 2 am in the morning

wow, it's been almost a year already? it seems like Ray started that car in the Fall. Time sure does fly.

Hi Ray,

Can't believe where you are with the SWC. Seems like every time I blink you make major strides on the car. Good luck with first fire of the motor.

Not sure if I asked you this before but what paint system did you wind up using?

How is your 61 doing? Is it jealous of the SWC? :)

I'll have to check your web site to see if there are more pictures.

BTW my daughter was accepted at Geneseo. She hasn't made a decision yet but if we are out that way I will let you know. I would love a quick peek at both of your Vettes. Take care Ray.

Gary

Hi! Gary

I just realized that I never answered you questions about the 63 paint. I will take a few pictures this weekend and post an update including the paint.

Great news about your daughter acceptance to Geneseo State! I read an article a few years ago that Geneseo was one of the best educational buys in the nation. You have to be very proud; Geneseo is a very hard school to get accepted at. If she chooses to attend Geneseo and you need some help, just ask. I am a veteran at the college thing; two RIT and one Brock port State. Boy am I glad that is in the past!

Ray

61 Silver said:
Hi! Gary

I just realized that I never answered you questions about the 63 paint. I will take a few pictures this weekend and post an update including the paint.

Great news about your daughter acceptance to Geneseo State! I read an article a few years ago that Geneseo was one of the best educational buys in the nation. You have to be very proud; Geneseo is a very hard school to get accepted at. If she chooses to attend Geneseo and you need some help, just ask. I am a veteran at the college thing; two RIT and one Brock port State. Boy am I glad that is in the past!

Ray
I did a year at RIT back in 70-71. I revisited about 4 years ago and could barely recognize the place. Are any of your kids in graphic arts?

Hi Ray

Looks like its a very nice project, Keep up the good work I have a thing for Splits and we all love to see as many pictures as we can Downunder.

Regards

Savette

1963 SWC Update 4/9/06

The progress has been set back a few weeks do to a problem with the intake. I had a coolant leak at the right rear of the intake. I should have checked it closer prior to install. The previous owner must have used a sealant to prevent the leakage, but it caused deterioration at the rear head port that needed to be repaired. The intake has been sent to Camaro Hi-Performance for repair and re-skinning. I hope to have it back in a week or so; then I can finally fire the engine for the first time.

Engine_with_out_intake.JPG

Al Knoch replaced the left dash pad that had a couple of defects. It took a weekend, but the new pad has been installed and looks great!

interior_right_window.JPG

The seats were last weeks project; as with anything else with the 63, the seat covers and foam were different from any other seats that I have recovered. After a short learning curve the seats were completed.

interior_front_view.JPG

interior_left_rear_window.JPG

With a ten day vacation starting Wednesday I hope to; install all glass to check exterior trim, mask and re-paint body, complete interior trim, start engine and take the 63 in for wheel alignment.

The weather in Western NY is finally starting to break and I need to put a push on to have it ready for the first major car show.

Thanks to all that have helped and provided information to keep this restoration project moving forward!

Ray

Mask and repaint body??? I must have missed something Ray. What is wrong with the paint?

Hi! Gary

I wasn't happy with the flow out of the lacquer paint. I sprayed the car during the winter months and I fired the furnace up after each coat. I didn't get the flow out I was looking for. I had to cut too much of the paint off through the wet sanding process and have a couple of sand thoughs. Rather than trying to spot in these areas I figured I would wet sand with 800 Grit and re-spray the entire body. It should only take a day or two and should be well worth it (my labor is free). I know that I am using lacquers, but I really want the body and paint to exceed the quality of factory work. It is hard to compete with the base/coat clear/coat at any of the local car shows and by using lacquer I should achieve total points if I choose to have it NCRS judged.

Good luck with your new building project!

Ray

61 Silver said:
Hi! Gary

I wasn't happy with the flow out of the lacquer paint. I sprayed the car during the winter months and I fired the furnace up after each coat. I didn't get the flow out I was looking for. I had to cut too much of the paint off through the wet sanding process and have a couple of sand thoughs. Rather than trying to spot in these areas I figured I would wet sand with 800 Grit and re-spray the entire body. It should only take a day or two and should be well worth it (my labor is free). I know that I am using lacquers, but I really want the body and paint to exceed the quality of factory work. It is hard to compete with the base/coat clear/coat at any of the local car shows and by using lacquer I should achieve total points if I choose to have it NCRS judged.

Good luck with your new building project!

Ray

Ray, You are absolutely right. A little extra effort now will really pay off later on. Some painters do actually paint a coat of color to check out the body, repair any imperfections and then spray their final coats. I'm sure after this next set of coats she'll be perfect! Good luck and enjoy your vacation time doing what you love to do!

your 63

Hello Ray
Your car looks really good. You have been making lots of progress, I am impressed with the quality of your work
take care
Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom