Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: courtesy lights

weegie

Corvette
1969 t-top, black, 4spd
new guy on the block with a 1969 coupe 4spd.350,350. I am working on all my interior lighting and when I got to the courtesy lights I found the door switches to have 2 connectors going to it.The switches I see on line all are single conn. switches.Is this the norm.or do I have some different option here.Interior lights do not work with the light switch either.My plan was to start with the door switches and go from there.Any advice ? thanks

1968 - 1974 (early) used a single-wire door jamb switch (same as C2 Vettes). The switch grounded through the switch body and into the metal door jamb, which should be grounded. The courtesy lights always have power, and turn on when the door switch(es) close and complete the ground to the jamb.

In late '74, there was a change to a 2-prong door jamb switch. This switch had 2 terminals separated by a plastic "spade" divider between the connectors.

If you have a 1974+ switch in your '69, you need to install the correct '69 single-prong switch. Since these cars have had a lot of funny work done to them over the years, you might want to make sure you actually have a '69 wire harness in the car... your harness should only have one wire going to the jambs switches (black and white). If you ground this wire, the lights should come on.

Lars

thanks Lars for the info.I did find that I have a single connector switch on the pass. side.but double on the drivers side.Sure hope I do not have an incorrect wiring harness for my car. It is a possibility thou.I did find a wire/bulb to the ashtray/cigarette lighter.and their seems to be no where to put the light socket.All else seems to be correct.Thank you again for the input.:beer

The extra wire!

Could the one wire on the passenger side be just for the courtesy lights but two wires on the drivers side. One for the courtesy lights and the other connected to the "Key Left In Switch" buzzer?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom