Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cover scratches?

KingCorvette

Corvette
I noticed a few clear coat scratches on the rear bumper of my Corvette.
They can only be seen if you really look and in a certain light.
My question does taking a car cover off and on cause clear coat scratches in the paint?

I think anytime anything touches a car's paint surface it is very likely to scratch. I attended a detailing seminar at the first cruise fest, and the instructor reiterated that 99% of all scratches on a cars painted surfaces is due to contact including washing and drying. Anytime surface contaminates are on a cars painted surface and something like a car cover rubs the contaminates against the paint, it will probably scratch.

It's hard to say the severity of your scratches, but from what you describe they seem minimal. For whatever reason, people seem to think it is ok to touch my cars paint. I have a black car, paint is really deep, but finger prints stick out like a sore thumb. It is miserable. I can tell when someone has touched the car, and if it has the least bit of dust or anything, sure enough, fine scratches where there fingers were.

I cover my car all the time, to keep scratch causing dust off of it, and because of where I park it, from people randomly rubbing against it. I always dust the car before I put the cover on and make sure it is clean. The cover is shaken often to get any dirt off of it. Reasonable percautions should keep scatches to a minimum. Most are caused by imporper washing, waxing, not 100% clean cotton towel-microfiber is best, etc...I'll take the risk of covering my car for MY situation as it would have many more if I did not.

Final Word: We all love that show car look, however, if you actually drive your Vette, like me, it takes lots of time and energy to keep it looking like a show car, and scratches and other stupid stuff are going to happen, but that is why we have buffers, and compounds to take scratches, swirl marks, etc...out. If you need to cover your car, DO IT, just dust it off before you cover it and keep the cover clean as possible.

FYI, Black is absolutely fabulous clean, but it stays that way for about 5 seconds. Especially in my neck of the woods. My Ruby Red is ok, silver is best for keeping something clean. Doesn't show dust, scratches like darker colors do. Light Blue isnt bad either.

Don't ever put a car cover over your ride unless it is 100% clean. Putting a car cover over a dirty or even dusty car will create scratches.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom