Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cowl induction vent

G

GW74

I'm thinking of taking out the cowl induction vent mechanism so that this vent is open all the time.
I no longer have the proper lid or rubber gasket for the air cleaner so the air cleaner doesn't link up to the system anyway.
The vent does open when you press the gas pedal to the floor but I'm thinking with this vent open all the time it has to increase the flow through the engine compartment which in turn can't be a bad thing. Has anyone else tried this ?

Vince

gw

mine has that, although probably a little different than yours I find it hard to believe they really do any good anyways I dont even notice the slightest difference with mine disconnected

When I bought my '75, this piece was missing. After much searching, I finally found one on Ebay for a very reasonable price. I wanted this part for the sake of originality. However a huge benefit (at least to me) was the decrease in intake noise at anything less than full throttle.

My .02.

GW74
It will work without the "flapper". Have it out on one of my 73's. But get the seal for the air cleaner to the hood. Without that seal it will just pull the hot air from the engine compartment. Could also cause engine fumes and hot air to exit the engine compartment through that opening and right into the cockpit air intake at the cowl. Could make things hotter and maybe even dangerous.

tom...

Thanks to all for the input.
My intention was to try to cool off the engine compartment not supply the carb all the time. For kicks I tried driving around with the hood popped open at the rear to see what difference if any. The temp gauge did show a drop in temp not much but a drop. But you were right Tom, the increase in the temp of the passenger compartment was drastic.

I had the hood off of mine for a couple of days while the air conditioning condenser was being worked on. I had the occasion to drive it around a bit without the hood. There was quite a difference in how cool the car ran. It got me started thinking about how the General should have incorporated a smallish scoop right at the front of the hood in order to help the radiator breathe. Has anyone seen something like this?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom