Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

crate engines

V

vettasy

I've been thinking of putting a crate engine in my 80. All the engines I've found on the web say they are for something like 75 or earlier. I'm assuming that is because of emissions equipment etc. I was wondering if anyone has put one of the crate engines in a later model C3 and if so how they dealt with the emissions equipment.

I don't know all the rules and regulations regarding emissions. I do know that you are not suppose to tamper with them to the tune of some significant fines.

I know a whole lot of people breaking these laws and none that have been caught. Each State that performs inspections do them different. Keep that in mind while reading any posts to your subject.

Usually, you can't go wrong by running a "newer" style engine than the one you have. In your case, chances are a 1988 T.P.I engine with cats would not only run better and faster, but would surely have cleaner emissions than your original motor.

You get into trouble when you go with aftermarket or older engine designes that do not include provisions for an E.G.R. valve, or have so much overlap on the cam that they would never pass an emissions test.

There are plenty of specialty companies that work within the legal guidelines to boost power.

You may not be able to buy a crate motor, but rather speed parts that are certified 50 state legal. Crane makes some great emissions legal cams, there are plenty of emission legal aftermarket heads and intakes. The final part being your intake and carb. You can always juice up the ignition with no damage to the exhaust, and you can install 50 state legal A.I.R. headers with after cat pipes and mufflers. Electric fans, free flow air cleaners, and other small goodies like roller rockers can boost or free up horse power without damaging the emissions.

The thing you would be looking for on a crate motor is the cam profile and if the heads have provisions for the E.G.R. Most crate engines leave you to choose your own intake, carb, ignition, and headers anyway.

Don't know if I helped you or not.

Chris

Chris McDonald said:
...would not only run better and faster, but would surely have cleaner emissions than your original motor.

That's usually the case with any "hot rodder"; ninety-nine percent of the time, their engines will run cleaner than the average motorist. :D But if the gov't has its way, we won't be able to touch a thing on our cars. :(

PS, I've been looking at all of the aftermarket engine builders, as well as the General's offerings and I think I'm gonna tone down my original intentions. I was thinking of the ZZ450 :J engine, a derivation of the ZZ4 and ZZ430, from Sallee Chevrolet, now I'm gonna go for something less in the way of horsepower and more in the way of reliablity. :gap

Ken,

Too bad you are all the way in CA. I could hook you up with the roller small block that I was going to put in my 69. The cam is fuel injection friendly. My wife would prefer it find its way into her 90.

For the most part, crate engines are the way to go. In the long run it is more cost effective and includes a warranty.

Out in CA you guys have more strict emission rules than we have here.

crate engine

We just put a 350 200hp GM crate engine in our 81 last year. We don't have the emissions control here so didn't have any problem with that. In fact, the emissions stuff had alredy been taken off the orginal engine when we bought the vette.

It runs really good now and we , especially me, feel better when on a long trip to Bowling Green or anywhere else. We also got a Edelbrook carb put on it. With the 2 need additions, we are cruising with smiles.

Bev.

I'm not going to be any help - I have an '81 that I believe is the prettiest vette ever made - but isn't very fast - what to do ??

:) :)

Kelly&Don .. Welcome to The Corvette Action Center Community

Kelly&Don said:
I'm not going to be any help - I have an '81 that I believe is the prettiest vette ever made - but isn't very fast - what to do ??
:) :)

I would use the 2000 for go fast and the L81 for Show :D Seriously, there are a few little things you can do to make it run a little better..
  1. Go to a Flow Through Cat
  2. Change to a 2 1/2" exhaust system
  3. Make sure the plug wires are good and the engine is tuned
  4. If you have an Automatic.. a mild shift kit
  5. Run Premium Gas

Also please review our requirements for signatures.. please no tempature bars :J and we have a size limit on signature photos. If we can help just contact one of our Moderators ;)

Enjoy the ride and take a few minutes to scout the place out. Rob is a magician with this site and, has tons of useful information too.

BudD
:w

vettasy said:
I've been thinking of putting a crate engine in my 80. All the engines I've found on the web say they are for something like 75 or earlier. I'm assuming that is because of emissions equipment etc. I was wondering if anyone has put one of the crate engines in a later model C3 and if so how they dealt with the emissions equipment.

I put a ZZ4 in my 80 last year. Its the best thing I could have done

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom