Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Crazy Tire Problem

glomonac

Corvette
1987 Red Coupe
Last week I rolled the car out of the driveway and after about 200 feet the rear left tire went flat immediately. I limped the car back home and noticed the tire was off the wheel. I brought the tire to a local tire shop and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I'm thinking this is crazy because when I approached the car in the garage the tires looked OK. The tire shop had no explanation on the sudden loss of air. These tires have about 9K on them and are about 6 years old. Today I pull out of the driveway and I feel the car isn't right. I open the door and look back at the left rear tire and it's low on air. I hadent driven the car since the tire shop looked at it. I bring the car back into the driveway and take my other car to work. I come back from work tonight and both rear tires have less than 15 lbs in them. Am I missing something??? The car is locked in the garage which eliminates kids letting the air out. There are no nails or holes in either tire and the valves are OK

I had the same problem on my 98 Red Coupe and the tire shop discovered that I had corrosion on the inside of my stock rims which would not allow the tires to seal properly. They removed the tires and cleaned all of the corrosion off of the rims with a power wire wheel which solved the problem. Hope this helps you out. Bill, Las Vegas NV

Did they check the Rims, I know my bro's car has a leaky tire because on of his rims is slightly bent. However that doesn't account for your quick loss of air.

You will probably find the rims are corroded. Your tire dealer should have recommended wire-brushing the bead area of the rim, and coating the bead area with Bead Sealer. In my shop we do quite a few of these every week, especially when the weather turns colder. Be sure he also checks your valve stems if they are six years old. If they didn't recommend the above you might look for another tire shop.

Thanks Guys, I didn't think of the wheels having corrosion. Sounds logical.

Are you married or having problems with anyone with access to your vette?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom