Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

CROOKED STEERING WHEEL

Corvette
71 White Coupe
I have a '71 , just had a steering box install , made a whale of a difference.
The only problem my steering wheel is crooked . The mechanic said I should
get a front end aligment , that would straighten the steering wheel . The steering wheel wasn't like that when I drop the car off . I'm pleased with the feel of the steering- unhappy with the steering wheel position. Thanks in advance for any help you give .

I believe the steering box should have been centered between stops when it was installed. Does the number of turns match when you turn the wheel stop to stop from straight ahead?

All else being equal you can pull the steering wheel and put it back on straight.

BTW-did you buy the steering box or did the mechanic procure it? Just wondering who you got it from and how much it cost including installation, if you don't mind saying.

Bob Chadwick said:
An alignment can take care of the problem as well.

He shouldn't need an alignment if the alignment was good to start with, right Bob? Besides, an alignment costs $$$ and R & R of the steering wheel is free (and easier).

That repair shouldn't impact the alignment.

As I recall, the steering wheel is indexed on mine with screws (3 I think) lining up so I'm not sure if this would fix the problem. At some point I understand the earlier cars required wheel pullers. I don't know if they were indexed or not.

I would have the shop that didn't put the steering wheel on straight correct the problem. Either way should be free.

Why can't he straighten it out by loosening the coupler at rag joint, straighten out the wheel and retighten the coupler? I believe it has a spline on it, I'm not near my car at the moment to check.

Bill

The rag joint is keyed, not with a key but with a flat spot on the shaft for the clamp bolt to pass.

KOPBET said:
The rag joint is keyed, not with a key but with a flat spot on the shaft for the clamp bolt to pass.

Ahhh....OK

How much "off" is the steering wheel from the center position?
You can adjust it by turning the tie rod sleeves on both sides of the car (not much, only half a turn or so). Be sure to check which way the threads are, so that you are shortening on one side and making it longer on the other.
Check the toe-in at the same time with a tape measure and adjust it.

Pop the horn button off and make sure the 12 o'clock chisel mark on the end of the steering shaft is aligned with the chisel mark on the steering wheel hub as it was when the car was built. Centering the steering wheel is done by adjusting the tie rod sleeves when setting the toe-in, NOT by mis-orienting the steering wheel on the shaft.

It's not at all unusual to have the steering wheel center position move slightly when installing a different steering gear or the rebuilt original steering gear; correct the wheel position on an alignment rack.

:beer

As usual JohnZ is correct... Tie-Rod adjustment should do the trick..

JohnZ said:
Pop the horn button off and make sure the 12 o'clock chisel mark on the end of the steering shaft is aligned with the chisel mark on the steering wheel hub as it was when the car was built.

:beer

Thanks John.

KOPBET - The steering wheel turn approximently about the same left and
right . I sent you an e-mail on what my total costs were . I didn't if I could
say where I purchase it or not . The wheel is about an inch and three
quarters to two inches off center . Thanks for all your help , you guys
are great .

Ive had my suspension rebuilt and asked the guru that is excelent on alignements? when I do the engine swap will I need a new alignement?. he said no. but if you replace the steering box, and have the steering column rebuilt ,(which I did) then set the FT. wheels center. set the steering box center, then set the steering wheel center. after all is corect if the steering wheel is off center then bring the car back because the steering wheel can only be centered by adjusting the tie rods ..................................... yr suspension in the steering is correct but the steering wheel can only be centered by realigning the tie rods.
just make sure you go to a repetible alignment shop..... here in Bakersfield there is only ONE shop thats knows what hes doing..... dont go to the cheapy chain shops. (they have no clue). spend the money and ask around for where to go?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom