Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cross country driving Zo6

jmelpeck

Corvette
2003 zo6 Black
First time to post a thread, I have always driven my c5 Zo6 around town but now want to drive across the country. No spare tire gives me some concern. What have others done to quiet the stress factor of getting stuck someplace in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire.

:welcome

Hello, Jmelpeck,
I see this is your first post. Welcome aboard.

In 2005 and 2006, I drove from Colorado to Kentucky to attend the CAC's Cruisefest. At the time, I had a 2003 Z06. Now, I was fortunate in that I was travelling with a Caravan of Corvette owners, so if any incident happened, the group could come someone's aid. Fortunately, we had no major incidents on either trip, and no flat tires.

Nevertheless, I understand the apprehension. The only thing I can recommend to at least give you a bit of piece of mind is to join an Automobile Club like AAA. They can rescue you/tow you should something happen, and they're also useful for getting discount rates at hotels/motels.

Really, though, I don't think you should worry too much. C5's are great cars that do really well on the road.

-Patrick

I have driven mine 52,000 miles without a flat. I drove from Idaho to Kentucky once and have made several trips to the ocean, etc. Just make sure that the tires are in good shape and that they are inflated correctly. Also, watch for road hazards. You can put run flats on a Z06 if you buy sensors and have the system activated by your dealer or mechanic.

I've driven my C6 Z across country (PA to CA) and on other long trips.

Make sure you've got the stock inflation kit or, if yours is missing, Conti makes a similar kit you can get from, I believe, Tire Rack.

I'll add my welcome to the CAC and reitterate the advice these guys mentioned - changing to runflats or at least carrying an inflation kit and AAA membership are your best bet.

:wJane Ann

Thanks

Thanks for the great information. I have joined AAA and checked my inflation kit. It seems like run flats are not available for the Zo6 however

Thanks for the great information. I have joined AAA and checked my inflation kit. It seems like run flats are not available for the Zo6 however

I recently purchased, and received this weekend, a tire patch kit from Stop and Go. www.stopngo.com/

It's a tire plug kit that uses the rubber plugs with the mushroom on top. When I used to work for a service station we used this type of plug and they work really well and you won't get that slime mess on the inside of your tires/wheels. The kit appears well equipped, all you're going to have to stick in the kit is a pair of pliers to pull out the offending nail/screw and to pull the plug snug against the inside of the tire. Use your portable air compressor to fill up your tire. I don't recommend the plug as a permanent fix, get the tire patched on the inside as soon as you can. I did notice that over time the hole in your tire will become the same size as the plug which, to me, isn't good.

I pick one up myself yesterday, Maybe I am just overreacting but I hesitate to travel across the country without some method to fix a flat. Got caught traveling from Utah to Arizona and found a nail in the rear side wall. $500 bucks later however I was still fortunate enough have it go flat in Phoenix rather than out on the road someplace

I recently purchased, and received this weekend, a tire patch kit from Stop and Go. www.stopngo.com/

It's a tire plug kit that uses the rubber plugs with the mushroom on top. When I used to work for a service station we used this type of plug and they work really well and you won't get that slime mess on the inside of your tires/wheels. The kit appears well equipped, all you're going to have to stick in the kit is a pair of pliers to pull out the offending nail/screw and to pull the plug snug against the inside of the tire. Use your portable air compressor to fill up your tire. I don't recommend the plug as a permanent fix, get the tire patched on the inside as soon as you can. I did notice that over time the hole in your tire will become the same size as the plug which, to me, isn't good.

Plugs are not meant to repair a side wall puncture but if I were out in no-man's-land I'd try anything. :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom