Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cross country road trip

J

jupiter

Tomorrow morning my wife and I are heading out in our still new to us 04 Z06 Z16 CE from south Florida to southern California and back with a stop over next week in Las Vegas where I'll do the three day Corvette road course at Spring Mountain. It's been a couple of months since I bought it with just under 10k miles. Talk about a fixed grin.

Thanks to CAC where I learned about Spring Mountain. Really looking forward to those three days next week.

In preparing for the trip, I just installed a Speed Lingerie bra. I'd always thought car bras looked rather goofy but I know how bad the road chips and bugs are on a trip like this. So I went ahead and got the high price bra and must admit now that it looks pretty good. Took some stretching and pulling to install but its completely smooth and skin tight and the Le Mans blue looks just fine. The company promo says it won't flap before 150 mph. Probably won't get a chance to put it all the way to a test but I'll do my best.

Also installed a new Passport 9500 radar detector in a fixed mount under the rear view mirror and hard wired to the mirror. Around town it seems to work quite well with a minimum of false alarms and good sensitivity to the real thing. Looking forward to using this on the highway.

In three-four weeks I'll report on how happy I was or wasn't with the bra and detector. I can already say how happy I am with the car. It's one of those rare things in life that completely exceeded my expectations in every respect!

When I get to the Los Angeles area, I'm going to find the Glendora mountain road that Hib Halverson wrote about in his terrific "Final Toast" article celebrating the 04 Z06 Z16 CE and take that ride. Thanks, Hib. It's great weather in south Florida much of the time but it's hard to find a mountain road hereabouts.

So it's on the road, in high style.

Jupiter

Probably won't get a chance to put it all the way to a test but I'll do my best.

Although it may be very tempting to try it out in Nevada, with all those empty wide-open highways - don't. The NHP currently has a major "slow down when you drive" campaign going on.

Also - be careful around Vegas, the drivers there are the worst (too many people, not enough freeway). This morning alone there were 10 major accidents on the roads.

Oh - and HAVE FUN! :upthumbs

Last spring I finaly got out to Las Vegas (not with the vette, just on vacation) and while on a helicopter excursion out to the Grand Canyon all I could think about was "I wish I had the vette out here just for a 150 mph spin".

I saw roads, not far out of town, where by air you could see fifty miles straight as a arrow with nothing growing over two feet high. Seemed like the perfect place to get that needle past the three o'clock position.

How do they spot you out there ? Air Units?

I was tempted to rent something and take a drive (vetts, only C5's available...were like $250 a day, but whats the fun in renting one if you have one back home in the garage :).....did look at the Lamborghini Murcelago....but try as I may....couldn't justify the $1500 a day rental fee :) )

Never did get out there to try it.

Have a safe and great trip!!! So many people don't drive their vettes. Glad you are not afraid to put some miles on yours. Don't forget to take pics.

How do they spot you out there ? Air Units?

Dude - it's AREA 51.

:rotfl

(I have to admit that I have been down Hwy 93 - goes North-South along the Utah side - at speeds in excess of 100)

(I do have my license plate # blocked out on that avatar picture, don't I?)

Signed,
Er - Not Pinky

I can't wait to hear about your trip. Take good notes and photos, and ENJOY! :lou

ROADTRIP!!

Have a safe one... we'll be patiently waiting for photos.

Btw - blow the horn when you pass through Mississippi and I'll wave. ;)

:w Jane Ann

As XLR8 says waiting for pictures,if in Ohio say hello blow the horn and wave we will.

All the roads in Nevada, Arizona an SoCal. were made exclusively for Corvettes! Watch the cops tho, they come out of nowhere and get you on radar. By the time your detector will go off it's only to tell you that you have been gotten.
Out here you will have plenty of opportunities to test what the factory gave you, so chose your road well don't let me scare you, open her up. Have a great and safe trip, I'll wave if I see you:w .

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom