Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cross-Fire Manifold cracked! Any tips replacing my old intake is most welcomed!

ironmoo

Corvette
1982 white/red interior
Original intake manifold gave out after 29 years.

Bad News:
Cracks along the edges now are leaking anti-freeze and hot air. Sounds like a boiling tea pot along with a bad burnt smell of antifreeze. It's a mess as the anti freeze/gas vapor got into everything and needs cleaning out. (new spark plugs, oil, etc..)

Good news:

Have a polished NOS Intake replacement (thanks Ebay!) ready to go.

Any tips or things to suggest before I go R & R 'ing it beyond the official GM manuals?

I sure someone has gone through this themselves and being the Crossfires/TPI's can be tricky to dial-in, any additional wisdom is appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

-:patMoo

New Intake ?

If it were me, I'd have a machine shop or 'ExtrudeHone Inc.' port and polish it. The more air/fuel you can get into the engine, the greater the output in horsepower. But you really need a better set of flowing heads to make it work.

The Xfire is definitely a DIY project if you want to get the most performance out of the stockinduction system. Fortunately for you others lime myself have already plowed the road for you.For the most part the Xfire is like any other SBC. So cam and heads with exhaust is the formula.However, to take advantage you'll need to port the manifold ( or look at somealternatives) bigger TBIs, an ECM conversion ( try the EBL from dynamicefi.com)bigger injectors and re-plumbing the fuel delivery for a VAFPR(Aeromotive 13301)and parallel fuel lines to each TBI.That should get you started.

If it were me, I'd have a machine shop or 'ExtrudeHone Inc.' port and polish it. The more air/fuel you can get into the engine, the greater the output in horsepower. But you really need a better set of flowing heads to make it work.
its a good idea but verry expensive .i would buy a new intake that they have out.crossfireinjection.net/

Thanks for the input.

I'd like to keep the car stock with the Cross-Fire for now.

I have an extra polished manifold...just wondering if I should get it ported...and will the stock ECM know what to do with the extra air! :L

Looking into the Extrude Hone (abrasive media flow porting,) was quoted a price of $700. Still wondering if it is worth it.

In the past I called/left messages/emailed the folks at Crossfireinjections.net with some money to spend and questions on the Renegade & bushing job...

Never got a reply back at all!

Are they still in business?

-MoO!

if you ported out the intake then extrude hone it ,it would work great .you would have a lot of time and money in it .the new intake would still be better than what you would end up with.the computer will work fine with it .the computer does not like big cams.have heard of others that could not get a call back before .that problem is suppose to be fixed.if i needed something i would post herewww.crossfire.homeip.net/index.php?act=idx.

You should buy a renegade, tons more power than stock, but at the very least you should port match the intake to the heads and remove as much material as posibble without grinding through the bottem of the ports.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom