Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Crossfire Question

M

MNHoosier

I have been e-mailing with Moose and he made mention of an '82 that I am looking at which has the crossfire fuel injection. Said he thought there were "issues" with it.

Can anybody enlighten me?

Also, I had my car in Memphis, but the guy e-mailed me this morning telling me that his wife didn't want him to sell so he's taking it off the market. I had plane reservations and financing in the works. Was supposed to leave Saturday morning. What a way to start a day.

This what I really feel like doing to him. :bash

Damn MF!!!!!!! :mad :r

What kind of C3 are you looking for and what price range?
I can keep an eye open for you.
tom

I think, after looking at a few cars, an '81/'82 more than a '78-'80. Price range is up to mid teens and I'm looking for a low mile car. I had been checking many of the various for sale/classified sites. Looks like I'm back on it, but an '82 popped up yesterday in, of all places, Houston again.

Maybe a last minute trip is in line.

here is one to look at . I don't know anything about it you could call.
708-423-4700
marcari's automart.
maybe have someone who is close look at it for you. sorry I forgot the price 7995

Also, are there any issues with the '82 windshield wiper motor? Like, it doesn't like to sometimes turn off when you turn it off or come on when you want them to.

Thanks

MNHoosier

I think the cross-fire gets a bad rap. I've had no problems with mine and they're really not as hard to work on as you may think.
I had no problems with the wiper system either.

Good to remember that as stated here so often, the C3 became a much more refined car as the years went on and the 82 was the last of its kind. I love all vettes but my 82 has more curves than Pamela Anderson (no offense):love

You may want to contact Racer78. He's got his SWEET RED 79 on the market. It's in NY but what the heck, I went to Cal for my 82.

Good hunting

Carlo

Hi,

Check out this post that Ken has going, don`t be put off by the title there is some good info on the CFI set up that was on Vette`s and Camaro`s.

I ran a Z28 with the CFI and in the time I owned it it ran faultlessly. Not the most performance oriented set up but properly looked after it works fine.

You`ll find the right car eventually it just takes a bit of patience and a good one is worth the wait.

J.

I just purchased a 1982 in New jersey for $13500.00 with 22, 600 miles for my wife. One owner vehicle, you can tell when you get in it. Needs paint on the front & rear bumbers, clear coat rubbed off and they have faded. Hood had a paint blister and when i hit it with the buffing pad the piant come off...nice move eh?? Lft front fender on top needs to be clear coated.

Frame is a joy to behold when you look under neath. This car never seen rain or snow..its really easy to see that.Runs great, she doesn't like it. Taking it to the local GM dealer as soon as snow is off the road to get a quaote to paint the above listed parts. Car is two tone charcoal grey & silver..every option except power mirrors..even a lighted vanity mirror which works..

I may be interested in selling htis for what I have in it, I'm not sure yet. I hate to put more $$$$ into paint if I'm not going to keep it.
Catfishjack

catfishjack said:
I just purchased a 1982 in New jersey for $13500.00 with 22, 600 miles for my wife. One owner vehicle, you can tell when you get in it. Needs paint on the front & rear bumbers, clear coat rubbed off and they have faded. Hood had a paint blister and when i hit it with the buffing pad the piant come off...nice move eh?? Lft front fender on top needs to be clear coated.

Frame is a joy to behold when you look under neath. This car never seen rain or snow..its really easy to see that.Runs great, she doesn't like it. Taking it to the local GM dealer as soon as snow is off the road to get a quaote to paint the above listed parts. Car is two tone charcoal grey & silver..every option except power mirrors..even a lighted vanity mirror which works..

I may be interested in selling htis for what I have in it, I'm not sure yet. I hate to put more $$$$ into paint if I'm not going to keep it.
Catfishjack
It is my opinion that the Cross-Fire, tho NOT a hi-po unit, HAS ben very effiecent over the years. I own an '82, w/ less than 15,000 miles, and am the 4th (?) owner. The previous 3 have done NOTHING in the way of repairing the Cross-Fire. Keep looking for that '82! I don't mean to laugh at people venturing across the USA to find the Vette of their dreams, but I found mine ACROSS the STREET! I told the owner, a single lady, I'd buy it, w/o DRIVING it! In fact, the FIRST time I drove it, I backed it from her garage, out her driveway, across the street, down MY driveway, and pulled it forward, into my garage! There ARE good, late C3's out there! Mine is LOADED, yet cost $15K GOOD LUCK!!!

Catfish,

If you want to sell for what you have in it, it will probably be more $$$ than what I want to spend. If you paid 13.5 + a paint job, 15.5 to 16 is getting there. I've tried (no offense meant) to stay away from cars that have had a lot of work or repainted.

However, maybe I need to be a little more flexible. ;)

Thanks guys.

I owned an 84 with crossfire that performed flawlessly for the year or so that I owned it,however,most people have the impression that they are junk.The impression I get is that if you get a good one you'll love it and if you get one with problems you'll have a miserable time getting it right.

There is some info at the camaro.net site since the crossfire was on the camaro 305 engine in 82(I think).There used to be a crossfire forem but I think it died along with most of the other that you find when you do a web search.

If you happen to be interested in an 82 Collectors Edition that needs new decals don't forget to factor in a bunch of expense to replace them,probably fifteen hundred minimum in addition to paint.

Good Luck

Tom

Thanks.

Actually, I don't really care for the collectors edition. The hatch is a nice feature and the color is OK. I don't care for the rims they used and I don't care for the decals. That is one car that I have actually steered away from.

It's the weekend. :beer

Hoosier,

Deals are out there just keep looking. Recently in my local Pennysaver weekly newspaper I saw an ad for an '82CE in excellent condition; $7500. I thought Hmmmm, must be a typo, or a "loose" definition of excellent. Probably $17500 which would not be unreasonable for a very nice '82CE ride. So I ignored the ad (I have been looking for a buddy of mine who wants anothe C3 again). Two weeks go by, same ad is there. Third week, finally I call the guy just for grins. "Sorry, the car was sold yesterday". For $7,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The guy needed the cash to avoid a divorce dispute. It WASN'T a typo. Unbelieveable. The car was mint, he just wanted anyone to have it but the ex.

So, the morale of the story is check them all out, keep looking; you will find what you want and it WILL be worth the wait. Good luck and good hunting.

.......... Nut

I found my one-owner 82 in the town next door 1 1/2 years ago and I love this car. It runs great! All original except the tires, battery & fluids. It had 36k miles on it and I got it for $11.5k. I've only put 4k miles on it since, but it took me to Carlisle, PA and back (about 1k miles total) and to Maine every summer weekend. I have no complaints - a total joy to drive. Only 200hp, but I don't need more. Although I love the 82 CE's, mine is one of 1720. 405 if you count how many left KY with the cheap std blackwall tires:D.
Is that like the radio delete option :Silly?

Guy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom