Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Cruise control

chevyman1759

Corvette
1972 elkhart green coupe
I have a 72 corvette that has alot of options.I tracked down the first original owner.He worked for Chevrolet.He ordered alot of extras.it has cruise control on it.The problem is a wire in the metal turn signal shaft has broken.The only way to fix this is to replace it.This looks like a factory option,but I don't know.Maybe a dealer option?I see them all the time,but they are for a straight column.I have a tilt/tele column.The lever is different.I have no part number on this in all my books.:mad Does anyone know where I can get this part or should I just deal with it not working?:confused

Cruise was not an '72 factory option. It may have been a dealer installed item or an aftermarket item installed by the dealer. If it was dealer installed GM kit, the part you seek may be common to other Chevrolet models of the era. If you look at the other under the hood components, they should give you a clue as to their origin.

Post some pics of the part you describe, and the related components underhood...
:beer
I am not able to take pictures yet.But transducer is so far under the power brakes you wouldn't see anything anyway.I ran the numbers and the transducer, carb bracket comes up to a 1972 mid-size chevrolet.The bracket on the brake peddle is also from the same year.The lever looks like the 1977 turn signal -cruise lever but it has no flat end on it and mounts with a screw.Mine is longer with threads at the end.The metal shaft is round all the way down it.The end is black with a singal button with the words 'CRUISE ' in white.Hope this helps. Thanks!

In light of what you've described, I tend to agree with SVO, in that your cruise unit is a possible aftermkt unit. I don't remember Chevy selling a GM brand cruise unit over the parts counter 'in-the-day' either. I worked in Chevy, Pontiac, Olds and Caddy dealers, and never installed one as a GM dealer option item.
The factory cruise units back then were electro/vacuum tech, and appeared mostly on high-line cars. The vacuum throttle actuator was placed behind the carb throttle linkage. Ya couldn't miss it, looked like a small drum! LOL!
Most of the aftermkt units I came across used a 'key-chain' link between the actuator and throttle, as this allowed for custom length fit. The factory used metal rods threaded @ one end. Prob still have a few bouncing in the garage.
I don't remember electric cruise units 'till post '75 out of the factory.

Many aftermkt companies of yesteryear are long gone these days. So finding info maybe next to impossible.
I suggest repairing the unit you have.
Good Luck - :beer

With a little research, '77 was the first year to offer cruise. Perhaps you could use the '77 turn stalk to repair your unit. The '77 T/T steering column is the same as a '72 T/T column.

With a little research, '77 was the first year to offer cruise. Perhaps you could use the '77 turn stalk to repair your unit. The '77 T/T steering column is the same as a '72 T/T column.
I got back in touch with first owner.But it took about 10 phone calls.He was able to tell me he had it installed at the dealer later of 1976.I guess it is a 1977 unit.The servo is mounted on the fenderwell below the transducer.With a cable coming up around the power brake unit.So could it be a 1977 lever?I thought they changed the lever type in 1976 when they changed the column because the column is different.THANKS!

I got back in touch with first owner.But it took about 10 phone calls.He was able to tell me he had it installed at the dealer later of 1976.I guess it is a 1977 unit.The servo is mounted on the fenderwell below the transducer.With a cable coming up around the power brake unit.So could it be a 1977 lever?I thought they changed the lever type in 1976 when they changed the column because the column is different.THANKS!
I would verify that it's a factory unit. Get a name off of one of the components. The NCRS guys could verify that it is a GM supplier, hence a factory unit.
If it is, then used/new parts would be much easier to come by.
The T/S-Cruise stalks can be easy to replace, it's just snaking the wires down the column that can be a pain.
:beer

F.Y.I. The '76 non-tilt column is the odd ball. Easy to tell as it has a Vega style 4 spoke wheel. '76 T/T column was same as earlier T/T columns back to '69 and forward to '77. T/T column changed in '78.

F.Y.I. The '76 non-tilt column is the odd ball. Easy to tell as it has a Vega style 4 spoke wheel. '76 T/T column was same as earlier T/T columns back to '69 and forward to '77. T/T column changed in '78.
I have a turn signal lever for a 77 t/t column,but it is bent at the end with a hole in it.My lever is straight with threads on the end of it.I guess chevrolet used anything they could get there hands on.The one on my car is hard plastic at the end with CRUISE in white letters.The 77 lever is the same but is shorter.At this point I should give up I guess!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom