Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cruise Control

R

RayL81

The cruise on my 81 does not work. Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks for the thread on cruise control. Yeah I was surprised to see cruise control as one of the options for a 1981.

Got it on my '79, too. But I never use it -- where the heck am I gonna put my right foot if it can't rest on the accelerator?

The late C3's were really quite luxurious compared to the earlier models. I had a C1/C5 owner ask me if the interior had been updated! She couldn't believe how "modern" it looked!

Ray,

Reliability with cruise controls on the late C3's always have been very shaky. Mine has never worked regardless of how many times I've replaced the Transducer. Like Page says, why bother. Takes the fun out of driving. Generally the Transducer is the culpret. Also, be sure to check all the vacuum lines and clean the electrical contacts. Might help.

Good luck................ Nut

Thanks everyone for the advice. What a great forum!!

I'd like to fix mine...

...but right now I can't see the point in fixing something I'd never use.

I prefer to DRIVE my vette, not let the cruise do it for me. I'm like this with other vehicles, too.
When the man in the motorhome turned on the cruise control and walked back to the kitchen to make a sandwich and then crashed....I felt that the term cruise control was a misleading misnomer.

Truthfully, I feel it could slow your reaction times trying to get your foot to the correct area in an emergency and cruise control fosters a lax attitude which could bite you if your attention wanes.
Heidi

Yeah Heidi I can appreciate what you are saying. I just want everything on my baby in good working order if at all possible. I have to admit I do use it often on my other vehicles when the road conditions allow.

Cruise first appeared as a option with the 77' model and was listed as "Speed Control".

On long highway cruises I will admit to using it. Especially in known speed trap areas.:)

Ray.

Most times it is the Transducer. Mine was fluxuating and not keeping the speed consistent. So I replaced the speedo cables and the Transducer in my '79. It fixed the problem. The Transducer is not very expensive like you would think. I believe it was only about $90 bucks.

Hey I noticed that we are almost neighbors. We should hook up sometime on a Saturday moring before the snow starts to fly.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom