Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Daily Driver

Corvette
2003 50th Anniversary Convertible
Really considering a C3 as a daily driver. How many of you are there that drive the C3 every day and have to deal with Ohio type weather? My wife loves the C3 shape and look and I'm thinking the only way I might convince her to (it shames me to admit this) allow me to have another Corvette it to make it an everyday vehicle. I really miss the sound that an awesome V8 makes.

Perhaps in the better weather...
I would not drive it in the winter..considering the crap they use on the roads,
I would be afraid it would destroy the frames.The wiring was not built to put up with the solutions
they put on the roads..IMHO...

I agree with Bill. The salt and sand mixes that are used eat the frames. When I found my 69 I crawled under it and found that the frame was in excellent condition. I found out the car was rarely driven in the winter. Since then I have seen a number of C3's where the frame was rotted out in front of the rear wheels. A 72 that belongs to an acquaintance was sagging in the rear and he thought it was the spring. Turned out to be the frame breaking in two. Be careful when you look at possible cars.

As others have said winter conditions will eat it away if the car isn't already half rotted. The youngest C3 is 33 years old, so you can expect frequent repairs as the original 33+ year old parts require attention.

Not a practical idea IMHO.

I drove my 69 everyday, 30 years ago. It handled well in the snow and rain. Didn't leak inside, the heater and defrost worked great- as did the radio. I had a ball driving it. I stopped after 2-3 years and bought a truck. We didn't use salt as much back then but I still had to repair rot in the frame in front of the rear tires. I wouldn't recommend it anymore. I bought the car for $3300 and didn't care since 68 & 69 vettes were a dime a dozen and not worth much.

I drove my 69 everyday, 30 years ago. It handled well in the snow and rain. Didn't leak inside, the heater and defrost worked great- as did the radio. I had a ball driving it. I stopped after 2-3 years and bought a truck. We didn't use salt as much back then but I still had to repair rot in the frame in front of the rear tires. I wouldn't recommend it anymore. I bought the car for $3300 and didn't care since 68 & 69 vettes were a dime a dozen and not worth much.

Interesting that they handled well in the snow. I've often wondered about that, not daring to venture out of the storage garage with mine for the valid reasons you noted. I had a Mazda RX7 30 years ago which also had a 50/50 weight distribution like the C3 and it did not handle so well. Predictable, but with the tires and low clearance it was out of it's element. Interesting that the C3 did well. One thing is for sure, my `82 puts out more quality heat than any car that I've ever owned. We keep the tops off on those Fall days until it dips below 50 degrees F.

I use mine as a DD, but not in the white stuff.. :nono

I've tried once, but the rear just spun and i slid sideways, slowly, towards the curb with nothing i could do about it. Since then: White stuff: Car stays put.

You can use it as a DD, but as others have said, the car is old (33 now) and has it's share of issues like any old car. And sometimes the cold will put the last straw on it. I continue to use it in the winter, but go very easy on the fun pedal or the brakes, even if it's just slick from rain.. It does turn heads though (some go back and forth sideays, i dont know why.. :L) as it is rare for a 82 Vette to show in good weather here, so when they see me in the winter month.. he he..

:w
-Stefan

Thanks everyone for the replies, I didn't really think there were too many people that would drive them in the winter. I am going to have to wait a bit longer to get back into a Corvette.

In the general snow they were ok, now going up a steep hill would be another story. I lived in the city and back 30 years ago we didn't seem to get as much snow as the past few years. I do recall driving home about 15 miles on the highway in the snow and another time during a heavy rain going through a puddle and had the water fountain up the shifter boot!! Heavy snow I took out the 68 Buick. I never had coverage back then for the 69 vette so that was out in everything. AH the good ole days!!!!

Find an 4x4 S10 and C3, that's what I have done since 1985.

My 66 had a bored and stroked 350, it ran 11.5 in the 1/4. In the winter I'd put big lug snow tires on it. I drove it in the winter because back then it was a $1300 car and the only car I owned. Once on I81 in Pa, it did fine in 12" of snow by following the big interstate rigs tracks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom