Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Daily Driver?

B

Brewmaster

Should I even consider a Vette for my daily driver back and forth to work, about a 30 mile round trip. Sure would make that drive time more enjoyable execpt for all that slow rush hour traffic.

Later

Brewmaster,

I am in the metro Atlanta area and I commute in my 03 from Woodstock to Norcross, 44 miles round trip, every day. The only problems I have experienced are:

Once in a while I get in a pack of "bubba" trucks and can't see a thing around them ;)
Slopping my coffee laughing at the ricers wanting to race on Highway 92 ;LOL

Seriously, a Corvette is a enjoyable way to spend about two hours a day..that I have to spend anyway. I am lucky enough to work for a company that allows flex hours so I arrive at 7AM and leave around 4PM. That schedule beats most of the really bad traffic. I do have a A4 so shifting in the stop and stop and stop and go isn't an issue.

Take your Vette and enjoy the commute as much as you can..

I drive my Vette almost everyday and I enjoy every minute of it. I don't have any problems and I am sure you will not either. Might as well enjoy the Vette if you can. You won't be disappointed.

absolutely!

The guy I bought mine from didn't drive it in the rain, kept it under a car cover in his garage, put it up for the season each winter, buffed it w/ a moist diaper before driving, etc. etc. I benefited from this form of anality (no offense) in that I bought a well-cared-for and maintained vehicle; but I refuse to treat it like a holy relic. It's a nice car that is meant to be driven (generally daily, except in my case in the snow, which is Bronco time) and enjoyed!!

Go for it.
My Vette is my daily driver - 12 years old, 105K miles. About the only time it isn't driven is when it decides to snow or ice in OK - 315 tires don't have much traction in that stuff.
It's efficient and fun at the same time.

My Z06 is the only car I own. I catch a ride or use my girlfriend's car when there is snow on the road, but that is maybe 10 times per year. At all other times I drive my 'Vette. Life is short. Have fun.

I've only had my vert since June, but driven it daily with ear to ear smiles and 12K trouble free miles.

RedLdr1 said:
I am in the metro Atlanta area and I commute in my 03 from Woodstock to Norcross, 44 miles round trip, every day....

I do have a A4 so shifting in the stop and stop and stop and go isn't an issue.

I also live in the Atlanta metro area, and commute 40 miles from Decatur -> Alpharetta -> Decatur daily. At first this trip was in my '98 coupe MN6, and now it's in my Z06. Both cars are fantastic daily drivers. I figured I might as well have a vehicle I REALLY enjoy spending 2+ hours a day piloting.

I had an MN6 coupe and now the Z, and shifting has rarely bothered me, even in total 285 gridlock.

voorthuist said:
The guy I bought mine from didn't drive it in the rain, kept it under a car cover in his garage, put it up for the season each winter, buffed it w/ a moist diaper before driving, etc. etc. I benefited from this form of anality (no offense) in that I bought a well-cared-for and maintained vehicle; but I refuse to treat it like a holy relic. It's a nice car that is meant to be driven (generally daily, except in my case in the snow, which is Bronco time) and enjoyed!!

Cool - I thought I was the only one who owned both a Vette and a Bronco. What year is yours? I've got a 73.

I drive the vette most days back and forth to work - 44 miles round trip. It will be just over 60 round trip when we get our new house done, but it will be back-roads through the mountains :D instead of down the loop 101 (AKA: the Pima punisher). I take the wife's 'Yota one a week or so too - just to keep the miles down a bit - but for no other reason really.

I only drive the bronco to work a few times a year as it's really an off road beast - built for a totally different purpose than the Vette, but just as much fun!

I drive mine year 'round in Chicago. Only days I've missed so far are the accumulated snow fall days. It was built to be driven. And I ain't worried about saving a few dollars in trade in value on my next one. :D

If you have to go to work everyday you might as well enjoy the going and coming, I know I do. So drive it..........

:D :w

I'm going for it!

Ok, Ok, Ok, y'all have talked me into it! Now I just have to find one to buy, going to look at one in Canton, Ga tonight. We willl se?

Brewmaster

daily driver

With the large and seven year producton numbers of the C5, it doesn't make sense to keep the car as an investment, unless you have a unique color combination or an anniv. edition. But even these are not holding resale value as predicted. ( Again, large production runs) The C5 is made to be driven as a daily driver unlike some of the early models; C-1's and C-2' for example. The C-5, in my opinion could be considered a touring rather than a sports car. I have seen C-5's with well over 150,000 miles and still performing as great rides. I say enjoy your car and get the most out of it while you can.

Run

Yeah, I used to be like this with my 1996 Vette. She sat mostly for the four years I owned her and I only put 7500 miles on her during that time. I promised myself I will drive the new C5 since you do not lose a lot more money by driving it, you just deprive yourself of a lot more fun. These cars are no collectors items to be stowed away like an immaculate '67 427/435 Vert
The other thing with not driving them. You will get a whole different set of problems since lack of use wears differently on cars. They were made to be regularly driven.

voorthuist said:

Hey AZMike, my Bronco's a 95 w/ about 140k, lifted 4", great vehicle! Photo attached.

Older ones like yours are extremely cool! Hope it's running well.

regards, J.V.

Driven daily

voorthuist said:
Hey AZMike, my Bronco's a 95 w/ about 140k, lifted 4", great vehicle! Photo attached.

Older ones like yours are extremely cool! Hope it's running well.

regards, J.V.
My 73 runs like a top! Here's a pic of me at the AZ Stampede last year. This is the bypass to the real obstacle!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom