Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dark Dash

Took my dash unit out today and took it apart. The only thing I found wrong was that three of the halogen bulbs were burnt out. The tutorial mentioned earlier suggests replacing the 882 halogen bulbs with 194s. I looked at bulbs in 5 parts stores today and all the 194s have an incompatible base with 882s.

So!!!, I bit the bullet and bought the 882s. You can see that they get very hot due to the discoloration and the mounting area on the board. All my solder joints looked to be iin fine shape.

Will let you know how it works after I reinstall it.

It is a ***** to get out. The metal clips are on the back of the plugs. It helps to take out the two screws above it that hold the glare shield down to allow a little give. I also removed the teltale unit in the center.

Glad to hear you got it. Took mind off so many times, I can do it in 10 minutes.

Success! I got the module out without any problems, just as you suggested.
I dissasembled the module, removed the boards, but I did not remove the
conductors from the LCD. I examined top and bottom of both boards, and the power supply. I found alot of contaminated solder joints, I had puchased contacr cleaner & I already had flux cleaner. I systematically solderer all of the (poor) connections, especially power & ground. I soldered the ribbon cable connecting the power supply to the board. I cleaned the pads (on the board) which contact the foam LCD connectors. Using a coarse PCB cleaning brush I cleaned the pinis on the connects with cleaner and all mating connects. I replace the dash (backlight) 822 bulbs with 194's. Went out for a test drive this evening for a couple of hours and so far so good!
Thanks,
Tom R

I know that all the solder joints look good, but you can't see them really well, as soon as I touched the solder to mine and resoldered all the contacts on that main strip everything was fine and has been ever since.

Just do it while it is out. there is a reason why there are so many with the same prob and the joint is it.

Mart

I know that all the solder joints look good, but you can't see them really well, as soon as I touched the solder to mine and resoldered all the contacts on that main strip everything was fine and has been ever since.

Just do it while it is out. there is a reason why there are so many with the same prob and the joint is it.

Mart

Yes Mart, thats exactly what I did, it has been three days now, and it hasnt gone out. I am now trying to figure out how to remove the backup light switch!
Tom-

Yeh, Sriat,
I have all the E/T stuff, including a scope, I just finished fixing the interior
light dimmer (or let me say it now works, minus the delay!)
My big problem was try to pull the cluster out, I tried to position it for an
hour! I couldnt even pull off the cable in the back, I didnt want to break it
or destroy my dash.
I will try your suggestion on an earlier post. I dropped the steering post
but no matter what I did I couldnt move it out!! Grrrrrr
Tom

Take the Dash Pad off and it's a piece of cake.

This is probably one of the more rewarding repairs to accomplish on the early C4. Those instructions from Batee are invaluable. Glad to hear you accomplished the repair!

This is probably one of the more rewarding repairs to accomplish on the early C4. Those instructions from Batee are invaluable. Glad to hear you accomplished the repair!

Thanks Taylor! It had been working great, but it did blink off and on last nite, which has me a little concerned, but I can solder some more if need be.
Now I seem to be having something going on with my brake power booster,
no rest for the weary!
Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom