Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Darn A/C bracket hole won't line up!

L

lostintime53

Over two years ago, I finished a restoration on the engine compartment of my 71. It has factory air conditioning. After I had the exhaust manifolds back on, I started reinstalling the air-conditioning compressor. First let me say, all the AC brackets are the correct parts as is the water pump and other parts in that area. As I was putting it all back together, I wound up with a bolt that wouldn't go through the bottom compressor housing (frame) and the long bracket that attaches to the exhaust manifold. The holes don't align and are off about a 1/4 inch. I used my factory assembly manual, NCRS judging guide, and digital photos to make sure I got it all right. Now the car looks great but I know that that bolt is not installed and it causes the AC compressor to be a tiny bit out of alignment. I'm afraid I'll be out driving and the AC belt will let loose and really mess things up!

I'd sure appreciate any recommendations or fixes to what I did wrong and how to get this thing back together correctly.

Thanks in advance...Rick in Tennessee

Rick,
I had a simillar problem, but I wasn't quite that far off. I had to losen all of the bolts and "lean into" the bracket a bit to get the holes to line up so I could get the bolt in. If it came down to it, you probably could drill out one of the through holes a little to make some wiggle room.

It funny how nothing seems to go together like they do on TV!
-gedmeyer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom