Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Dash Cluster

ATL 84

Corvette
1984 White Coupe
I am having a problem with my 84 dash cluster. The cluster will light up, however there are no numbers displayed and I can't see any of the subsequent gauges as well. I have taken the cluster out and looked or any loose wires and cant find any. has anyone else had this happen?? Also how do i fix it?

I am having a problem with my 84 dash cluster. The cluster will light up, however there are no numbers displayed and I can't see any of the subsequent gauges as well. I have taken the cluster out and looked or any loose wires and cant find any. has anyone else had this happen?? Also how do i fix it?

you won;t find any either... there is only 2 wires that are perhaps 1" long in the entire cluster.

your problen is a ground path on the main circuit board. IF you have some experience at working on circuit boards, look at the 12 pin plug thats horizontally mounted left side. The end pin is ground path and often cracks the board.

Its your back-lighting thats failed and a dark sceen is the 1st sign. Next will be turn signals on and the blue hi-beam lite on.

If you cannot fix it yourself, there are many places that do exchanges. around $300-350 these days. Call your favorite Corvette vendor/catalog store or local Vette shop. They will have somebody.
Its common, and why you don;t see full digital clusters anymore.
I had to buy one of those things back in 1988....going rate was $5000 new. I managed to get lucky and buy one from a wrecked car for $1500

I have had the dimming before. This time it is not dim at all. The cluster is bright like normal the only thing is there are no numbers which display. Its just all yellow and green.

LCD panels are out for whatever reason. Send it in. Do some googling and you might find a good repair article but I do not believe it covers panel/digit failures. Panels require replacement. I have no idea where to find new ones.

You MIGHT get lucky with a magnifying lense and a study of the board and see a crack or break...but it sounds like dead panels.

Corvette America has rebuilt instrument clusters for $399.00

Try Mr. Whizard Technical Services.They repaired mine 2 years ago for $159.

I realise how old this is but, does anyone know what happened with it and/or the subject matter ?.......Roger.:w

are you interested in cluster repair? or exchange?

the Batee.com website offers the best DIY repair that I have come across. Most of the catalog stores still do digital cluster repair. Analog can be done by local shops.

I just had mine exchanged by digital dashes in Ct., I sent it from Hawaii on a Tuesday and got it back on Monday. It was $325 including shipping. Their customer service rep. called me when it came in and told me they would be sending out the exchanged cluster. He is on ebay or you can go to his website.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom