Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

dash letters

krh

Corvette
2005 victory red vert
i cannot get any decal or 3 m letters to stick to the dash letter recess even after degreaseing and soap water anyone have similar problem and what to do? i tried decals from mid america and some i got on ebay also letters from corvette america no luck sticky is good on letters but will not hold to dash. thanks krh

thanks, i used denatured alcohol and acetone, no luck on adhereing, i am a retired chemist so i have knowledge of degreasing to me the letter area looks like smooth plastic different from rest of dash. any help please. krh

I've had those letters all over 2 different cars and never ever had any problem with them staying on. With your chemistry background you should be able to anwer your own question then!:w

my knowledge of chemistry does not explane why they will not stick. i have the decals on my 03 but they are the kind you wet and put on no problem with those, thanks for your help since you dont have any idea either. krh

I've had those letters all over 2 different cars and never ever had any problem with them staying on. With your chemistry background you should be able to anwer your own question then!:w
JROSE, I'm assuming you didn't mean for your answer to sound as snarky as I took it. :confused

KRH - I had the same issue. Soap & water, denatured alcohol, tried "roughing" it up with a small emery - nothing worked. I eventually just super glued the damn letters on. So make sure you really LIKE the look before you take my approach. ;LOL

If you've used multiple coats of Armorall on the dash over the years, it's going to take a lot of cleaning with the alcohal wipes to get all of the crud out of the dash. The letters won't stick till it's ALL gone.

jrose, no i didnt mean for it to sound like it did. if we talked on phone i am sure it would have been very pleasent. this thing with letters is kind of crazy to me its like they were made with teflon in the spaces, the car has 9,000 miles on it, it belong to dealers wife did not drive it much or armorall anything i dont think, the othe reply about super glue them is what my wife suggested. looks like manufacture of the 3m decals would have recieved comments. krh:w

Get your self a .05 pen of 3M adhesive promoter #4298

www.bondprousa.com get the 0.5 ounce pen and using a Q-tip, wipe out the letter indentations. Go to Home Depot and buy a tube of a product "Seal-All" adhesive. Using a pair of tweezers and while wearing latex gloves, put a VERY SMALL amount on the back of the letters, and using the tweezers carefully lower the letters into the indentations and using the blunt end of the tweezers. carefully yet firmly press the letters down into the indations. By using the 3M #4298 product, the surface is stripped of any dirt or oils, dust and grime. This is a job that takes time and patience. I spent close to a hour and fifteen miutes just on my dash letters. I did mine about six months ago as well as the door sill graphics/emblems and those sucker are welded on now. :w

thanks for info on how to get dash letters to stick adhesive promoter,will try that no home depot in area what about lowes would they have it? but again thanks krh:)

Advance Auto parts has seal all

other parts stores may have it also

thanks kenny do have auto zone will try the sealer and adhesive promoter. thanks for all help hope it works. krh:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom