Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Dash lights kill guages

emcee

Corvette
1980 L-82
Greetings, first time posting. Fisrt time corvette owner.
I am the proud new owner of a 1980 L-82 350/TH350. It took 40+ years but I finally got mine. This is one that Bubba has had for a while, several systems modified or missing. But it runs good and drives pretty good so a good place for me to throw my money. Haven't done any research yet but I have a problem I'm not sure how to troubleshoot.
When I turn on the dash lights, the guages quit working. Turn the dash lights off guages work again. Anyone had this problem or ideas how to start repair.
Been reading here a lot in the last month and it seems you guys collectively know everything there is to know about corvettes.
Thanks, Michael

Welcome to the forum.

I can't answer your question (i've never heard of that happening) but I'm sure someone here can come up with an idea or two.

Good luck and welcome!!!!

I am the proud new owner of a 1980 L-82 350/TH350. It took 40+ years but I finally got mine. This is one that Bubba has had for a while, several systems modified or missing. But it runs good and drives pretty good so a good place for me to throw my money. Haven't done any research yet but I have a problem I'm not sure how to troubleshoot.
When I turn on the dash lights, the guages quit working. Turn the dash lights off guages work again. Anyone had this problem or ideas how to start repair.
Been reading here a lot in the last month and it seems you guys collectively know everything there is to know about corvettes.
Thanks, Michael
You have a bad ground somewhere,I'd start buy checking the All the Chassis,Engine and Body grounds!Grounds make electrical systems do weird things!!:thumbI've also seen a poor connection at the cluster or in the fuse panel do this,but it's usually somewhere where you wouldn't think it could possibly be the problem!:thumb :D

Get yourself a shop manual. You will be using it a lot. I totally agree with what gmjunkie said. The center cluster can be difficult to remove so be careful.

Sounds like the rheostat in the light switch might be the culprit. Turn the rheostat down to about half; turn on the lights; still have gauges?

:)

Dash lights killing gauges

Thanks, Michael

Michael, I have an 80 myself and lived with the same problem for 3 Years. Last winter I decided to find and fix it. I removed the center gauge cluster, and carefully cleaned and aligned all the small brass tabs on the back of the cluster. When I snapped the connector plug on I made shure it was fully locked in to place, and the problem was solved. I have told others what worked for me, they tried it and it worked for them. There is not a lot of slack on the plug connecter and it can pull loose from the bottom snap, make sure that its in tight.

Good luck Joe.

Thanks for all the replys. Ordered the AIM and am going to check all suggestions. Again thanks all

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom