Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Daves Garage Construction

D

Dave L.

these are the 'before pictures' showing the front of the house and the large backyard.plenty of room to build a garage!

these 2 pictures show the footer after it was dug and the foundation

Preparing the garage floor and finishing the concrete. The floor has a center drain which is nice for washing cars in the garage or for melting snow. The drain pipe leads out the back of the garage into a french drain. I had to fight the township to get that approved. My buddy put a thin layer of concrete over his drain and then tapped out the concrete after final inspection. I am not sure about doing that,though.

the first picture shows us laying the underground utility cables(electric-telephone-TV cable) all placed in in pvc pipe.
the 2nd picture shows the driveway and parking area being prepared for stone. it was allowed to settle for several weeks before paving.

One thing to remember with all new construction,be prepared for mud and lots of it! Notice how the property line was kept marked at all times. Dad and I surveyed and marked all property corners before the project started.Make sure to get all the proper permits and call the utility companies before you start to dig.
2nd picture shows stone in driveway and completed garage floor,bring on the lumber.

these 2 pictures show progress after 3 days of work.

Completed project after landscaping around the garage and replanting grass.

Awesome Dave

Well thought out and done the right way. I'm jealous, I don't have the room here on the lake so I had to go with my prefab but it's not what I would have liked to do. It'll do for now, if I EVER get it finished!:(

The garage dimensions are 24 x 30. If I were to do it again I would have gone 28 x 40,I would have had plenty of room to do so. Actually I wasn't going to build it quite as big as I did. Overall I am very happy with it. I can comfortably park 3 cars with room for plenty of storage. In the winter I store my Dad's vintage VW beetle along with my Corvette,Cavalier and Beretta. There is plenty of room for all 4 cars. I keep my pick-up truck at Dads place. I hope you enjoyed my project !!

Dave

Looks nice.. I wanna own my own house and garage someday.. hopefully within the next 5 years!

Thanks Lou. Ever since I sold my 64 Ford Falcon Sprint in 1978 I knew some day I would buy another classic car. I also knew I wanted a garage to keep it in first. So I bought my house in 1986 and built the garage in 1995. Finally was able to swing the Vette purchase in 2001. It just took 23 years to fulfill my dream. I count my blessings every day!!

Dave

Dave,

Very Nice, I'm jealous. It's been a long time since I had anything close to that size of garage.

Have you done any decorating inside? Any special GM stuff? ;)

Bud

ps. Dave thanks for helping members find the right parts ;)

Dave, How deep is the frost line in Harrisburg? We never see footers like that in Texas. (for a residential garage) All our slabs are floating slabs.
The garage looks great!!! I wish I could build one, probably could had a good start as much as I spent on the engine upgrade and related stuff!
28X40 sounds big! I could use the 3 car setup like yours. Good job. Fred:_rock

Fred - if I recall correctly,frost line is 18". All foundation work was done according to local zoning specs. The entire project was inspected at least 3 times by our township codes enforcer.
Thanks for taking a look Fred.

Dave

Bud - thanks for the kind words. I don't have to much GM stuff inside,except for some AC-Delco banners. I haven't decided exactly how I am going to finish the interior. I have some nice cabinets and shelving installed. I store a lot of stuff up in the rafters also. I am planning on spending some time on insulating and doing something with the walls this summer. I will post some pictures of the interior if it ever stops snowing here!!

Dave

Very nice. You did it right. All you need is a gas heater, after you get it all insulated and drywalled inside. What other plans do you have for your garage. TV,Refrigerator,heat,bar??? Just some suggestions. My neighbor has a 3 car garage, heater and woodburner, a 35 inch tv, a bathroom, and a bar, plus floor drains. The ultimate set up. Just some ideas, I wish I could afford to do it. I got a 2 1/2 car attached, wish it was a 3 car. I need to drywall the ceiling and get a gas heater in there to keep the Vette warm in the cold of winter. Keep up the great work. I like the way your friend did the concrete smooth over for his drain, then broke it out. Very crafty.

Yarls24 said:
I like the way your friend did the concrete smooth over for his drain, then broke it out. Very crafty.

Local codes here now absolutely prohibit any kind of drain arrangement in a garage - paranoia about people flushing oil or anti-freeze, etc. down a drain; the inspectors are wise to the "hidden drain" trick too - contractors can't start the pour for a garage floor without the inspector present to make sure there are no "hidden drains".

Very nice project - looks terrific!
:beer

Looks great, Dave. Now we have to plan garage warming party:D.

:w
Guy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom