Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dead Battery and Doors Locked

ICOMP

Corvette
2007 Black Z51 Coupe and 2004 Magnetic Red Coupe
Uncovered our '07 Z51 today with the happy expectation of driving it for the first time in a ew months. Sadly it wouldn't start. Had to go back into the house for a minute and when I went to open the hood to access the battery, I found that the doors to the car had locked and won't open. Since I can get into the car, how can I open the hood to charge the battery?

Google - Give this a try...

'07 Owner Manual, page 80.

".....If power to the vehicle or the keyless access
transmitter is lost, there are two ways to open
the door.

From inside the vehicle, use the door release
handle located on the floor next to each seat. Pull
the handle up to unlock and unlatch the door.

From outside the vehicle, use the key in the
cylinder above the license plate to open the hatch
the use the door release tab located on the
carpet inside the trunk on the driver’s side of the
vehicle. Pull the tab to unlock and unlatch the
driver’s door......"

the door.

driver’s door......"
Thanks for the quick response! That did the trick. This is my wife's car and I never got to know it as well as my C5. I knew there was a way to access the hatch, but couldn't for the life of me remember how. So much for keeping the owner's manual in the glove box! It doesn't do you much good when it's locked inside the car! Thanks again!

ICOMP

If it's any consolation, ICOMP, I've gotten caught with a drained battery a couple of times during this long, aggrevating winter. Your experiences with having to manually pop the rear hatch with the key, pull the cord to open the driver's door, and then open up the hood isn't unique.

:)

-Patrick

***I have heard that if you have access to underneath the car, it can be opened by connecting a good battery to the starter battery cable and ground.***

I don't know if this works or not but I just "heard" about it.

Next winter, I'd use a battery tender...if I lived in a freezer like some of you...;shrug

If it's any consolation, ICOMP, I've gotten caught with a drained battery a couple of times during this long, aggrevating winter. Your experiences with having to manually pop the rear hatch with the key, pull the cord to open the driver's door, and then open up the hood isn't unique.

:)

-Patrick

Yep. Thanks again to all.

It really only takes about 2 weeks for the battery to lose a substantial amout of juice. I bought a battery tender at Harbor Freight for 10 bucks end of problem. It's a float charger so it won't hurt the battery even if ya left it on for several months. :thumb

i just leave the hood unlatched during winter storage so i have easy acess to the battery but i use a float charger so i should not need to open the hood.

Not sure about Harbor Freight... I have a friend who fried his battery with his $10 purchase. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND a DelTran Jr. for +/- $28, I've had three for over five years now and never had any problems with any of them. If any of my Corvettes are going to be parked longer than a week, I plug them in.

***I have heard that if you have access to underneath the car, it can be opened by connecting a good battery to the starter battery cable and ground.***

I don't know if this works or not but I just "heard" about it.

Next winter, I'd use a battery tender...if I lived in a freezer like some of you...;shrug

Yes, I bought a cable which connects up to battery and the cable is built to prevent "back-flowing" current (diode I think, prevents any short). It accesses underneath the front passenger side and has covers on the end. This provides access to provide power if bty gets zapped. It's not a 'must have' item, but sure provides conveinence. :D

the door.

driver’s door......"

wouldn't the book be in the glove box in the locked car?;)

wouldn't the book be in the glove box in the locked car?;)

Very possibly, Chas. But the computer on which they're viewing this web-page presumably wouldn't be in the car. Another reason the CAC is the perfect accessory for your Corvette. ;)

i bought my float charger at walmart and it is a american made "schumacher" which cost about $20. it has run continuously for over 4 years with no problem

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom