Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Deal or no Deal.......

CROOZ1N

Corvette
1993 Torch red coupe
2000 Coupe 82k 6 speed. He wants 14500.00 for it BUT It has a salvage title. He's had the car with said salvage title for 5 years and has had no problems.This car is his daily driver and it gets no special treatment and has no garage home. Also its a black car in BAD need of a paint job. He said windshield washer fluid ate that paint off the top.? Many rock chips across the front and much paint missing behind rear wheels.
I'm thinking that the car may only be worth about 8-10K since its a salvage title and needs paint. Oh he's also a heavy smoker so the interior will be rough to get the smell out.

Opinions?

or just do the Monty Python bit and RUN AWAY.........

I would pass on it. Its very easy to drop $5-10K or more cleaning up a Vette. At that price you should be able to find a much better car and for a few grand more, a garaged cream puff.

Here's my 2 cents - 1) determine the exact model/year you want, the exact colors you want (inside and out) and the options (and aftermarket parts) you want on it, 2) there are numerous sources for prices and the ranges are pretty wide as long as you're not looking for a show car - know what you can expect for the amount you are willing to spend, 3) expect any repairs, replacements, add-ons, changes, to be expensive and try to avoid these if at all possible, 4) take your time and shop hard, 5) advertise what you want to buy, we all probably know of one or more nice Vettes for sale.

I know of a very nice '79 that can be had for under $10K; I saw a almost identical car about a month ago where the seller wanted $25K.

Here are some nice extras to look for on a C5 - 1) Kool Mats or equivalent that cut down road noise and engine/transmission heat ($2K installed), 2) SS cat backs (many brands) - lots of C5s have them (up to $2K installed), 3) Ram Air - like Vararam ($600 installed) 4) roll cage/cross bars and racing harnesses - great for autocross time improvement ($1-3K installed), 5) aftermarket rims ($1-8K installed). These are especially nice if the owner kept the stock parts. Then there are lots of smaller goodies that add up fast like hood seals, door seals, vent screens, etc. I wouldn't give an extra dime for something that's just a "look pretty" like a chrome oil filter cover.

Thanks searcher... I think your advice is spot on.
I really think I'd like a 2000-2003 ZO6 red or black with Mod red int. maybe even millenium yellow/black int. And you do have to take some of the mods into consideration. especially if they are mods you are interested in anyway like aftermarket exhaust and wheels.

I was at a show this weekend where there was a 92 red vert had about 20-30 K on the clock if I recall. They were asking 26 K for it. Now one of the other guys in the club ran across a member that same night with and 89 red Vert about the same mileage that he wanted 8900 for it. That's a savings of 17 K. Unfortunately its an Automatic and If i get another vette it will probably be a stick. I just miss shifting especially in a sports car.

If I get another it will have to be a deal of a deal like I think I got on my 93.

"Run Forest, Run!" There are to many nice ones out there to get stuck with a dog... Just my opinion.

Dave

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom