Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dealer Code question.

jcihos

Hello everyone I actually have a question about my 68 Camaro and figured since I could not find an answer on that forum I would try here also. I have a 68 Z/28 that I believe was originally sold at Ned Gates Chevrolet in Benton Harbor, MI. When I look up the zone 45 and code 134 provided by NCRS in their data base it comes up at Ned Gates Chevrolet like I expect it to. However, on my NCRS shipping report it says "Believed to be National Car Rental in Kansas City, MO." I have spoken with Mark Lincoln over at NCRS who has said that the NCRS database online is not official so they would not be able to change the shipping report. But if I can find documentation that gives the zone and dealer number that would be happy to change it. From the records that I found at the state of MI Ned Gates Chevrolet was open from 1968 until 1984. Any help that someone might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the CAC

Do you know if National Car Rental had Camaros for rent in 1968? It is a far stretch but maybe they have records of cars they purchased.Was KC their home office location?

It could be that National ordered all of their cars from a central office location like Kansas City then had them delivered to dealers closest to the National agency where the cars were to be rented out of. Or, in a case where the agency actually purchased the cars, they might have been purchased through the National Car Rental central office for a special price break because of large volume orders.

Have you tried to do a title search with the State of Michigan BMV? I'm not sure how far back they keep records. If they have the original title they should also have a copy of the manufacturer's certificate of origin and maybe the dealer sales order.

Ned Gates Chevrolet is listed twice in the NCRS online database (1970 & 1972).
In one of the posts, the comment reads: Info Provided by AAA Window Stickers- Bill Petriko
Perhaps you can contact AAA Window Stickers to see if they have any additional documentation.

Do you know if National Car Rental had Camaros for rent in 1968? It is a far stretch but maybe they have records of cars they purchased.Was KC their home office location?

It could be that National ordered all of their cars from a central office location like Kansas City then had them delivered to dealers closest to the National agency where the cars were to be rented out of. Or, in a case where the agency actually purchased the cars, they might have been purchased through the National Car Rental central office for a special price break because of large volume orders.

Have you tried to do a title search with the State of Michigan BMV? I'm not sure how far back they keep records. If they have the original title they should also have a copy of the manufacturer's certificate of origin and maybe the dealer sales order.

I actually spoke with the original owner of the car who still lives near Benton Harbor, MI and he said that he bought it at Ned Gates. I had the state of MI do a title search when I had to get a replacement title when my dad passed away a few years ago and they couldn't find anything.

Ned Gates Chevrolet is listed twice in the NCRS online database (1970 & 1972).
In one of the posts, the comment reads: Info Provided by AAA Window Stickers- Bill Petriko
Perhaps you can contact AAA Window Stickers to see if they have any additional documentation.

I saw that same thing but didn't even think to contact AAA Window Stickers. Thanks for that suggestion. I contacted them and hopefully they can help.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom