Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Decklid bumper?

B

BBB454

I'm trying to plan ahead for protection of the Blue Beast's paint job. Not sure if this is something that only happens to my decklid, but when the seats are adjusted all the way back (like for a tall person), the seat backs rub. This left a spot behind each seat where the paint was rubbed off the inside edge of the decklid.

I swear I have seen little black (rubber?) bumpers on a convertible in that exact spot. Do any of you have them? I've looked through all of my catalogs and only found one thing in the Chicago Corvette catalog that might be it, but there was no picture so I'm not sure.

Is there any other way to protect the edge on the decklid from the seatbacks?

Thanks,
Barb :w

I spoke too soon, I just found them in the Corvette America catalog. However, it says the "Seat Back Bumper on Decklid" is for 72-75.

So now my questions are:

1) Is there any reason why I couldn't use them on my 71?

2) Is there any other option to get the same protection?

Thanks,

I have them on my 71. They work great. I believe you need to drill two holes in the deck lid to mount them, so if you are going to go this route, it would be best to drill before paint.

Barb,

What kind of condition are the seat back bumpers in? The rubber bumpers on the threaded shaft that control how far the seat backs can travel. New bumpers are ZWS-627, $4.50/pr. in the ZIP Catalog Also how about a piece of that Cleartastic protective sheet for that area. Static cling and no holes.

Tom

As Tom said, besides checking the seat back bumpers, I would also check the seat hinges and bushings. The seat back should not go far enough back to rub the decklid. No reason you couldn't use the rubber blocks, but it could be a simple seat adjustment. I had BAD luck with the static cling clear plastic decklid gizmo. Put it on my 69, and it was painted 12 years ago. Got wet under the static cling, and left DEEP acid rain spots in the paint, some of which I couldn't buff out. Chuck

I'm probably going to go visit her this weekend, so I'll check the existing seat bumpers. I have checked them before but I didn't know what to compare them to. Now that I have catalogs I'll be able to tell, I hope.

I know the drivers seat needs some frame work because it's like a recliner. When they replaced the covers in '88, they welded the frame but I have a feeling it broke again. What I really need is some new seats, but with all the $$ I'm putting into the paint/windshield frame restoration, it will be awhile before I can get them.

I thought about the Cleartastic idea too, but I don't think it's enough to protect it because the seats actually "ate" some of the fiberglass off the decklid as well...

Thanks for your info!

You guys ought to know me by now, I am always looking for an alternative method that is "different" from the crowd.

Here is my idea. Go to an auto trim shop and check out the vast variety of body moldings and trim they have available. 99% of them will be stick on with adhesive backing requiring no drilling.

This is one reason why I did the bedliner coating in black to match the rest of the car on my deck lid. I hate to see them all beat up around the edges.

69MyWay said:
...Here is my idea. Go to an auto trim shop and check out the vast variety of body moldings and trim they have available. 99% of them will be stick on with adhesive backing requiring no drilling...

DUDE! I am digging that idea and it should offer a nice accent to the deck lid too. I'll have to take pictures and so you'll see how it looks. I'm heading to Trak Auto this evening to get pads for the Monte so while I'm there I'll find some trim:upthumbs!

- Eric

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom