Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Video: Demo on what the dwell meter needle looks like adjust air metering valve on E4ME

Corvette
1981 HD Suspension; ZN1 Option
Ok folks, I was adjusting the carb in Gail yesterday (long story, but timing setting jumped). And so I thought I post a video showing the dwell meter needle "hunting" or moving to reflect the varying levels during operation.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=9e77f659449dd457&id=9E77F659449DD457%211572

Follow the procedures in the air valve adjustment procedure in the shop manual. This video only shows the essentials.

I tried to make the link function automatically, but couldn't. You'll get to my skydrive, and once there, you can open the MP4 file ( the one not showing a content image), but most browserswill give you a choice of video player as loaded in your machine.
:D

Last edited:
Some very nice pics in your Skydrive! Thanks for sharing.

Quick question, what is the big orange box near the distributor on the passenger side? I dont have one and am thinking maybe I should?

Jotto, are you referring to the red/orange color solenoid just aft of EGR valve? That is the EGR bleed solenoid. The computer operates it at certain engine regimes. For example, it will allow EGR to burn fluorocarbons at cruising speeds -not at wide open throttle.

The one immediately below it is the torque converter control solenoid. It allows the ccomputer to command when the lockup feature of the converter actually releases lock-up (for example, as it may be the case when braking).

GerryLP:cool:

Hello Gerry,

Great video's! But what a horrible sound that the engine was making.. :eek:hnoes
As I just bought a Contour camera I'll do the same thing, makes everything alot easier! :)

Greetings Peter

I can't play the video.

What a great job you did on the engine. Not many people would keep an 81 so original. But I really appreciate your efforts. Did you pull the engine to detail it or for some other reason. I think I am going to start pulling my engine tomorrow?

I can't play the video.

What a great job you did on the engine. Not many people would keep an 81 so original. But I really appreciate your efforts. Did you pull the engine to detail it or for some other reason. I think I am going to start pulling my engine tomorrow?

Wajulia,

In 2002, I had a local shop work on the engine (swapping of heads and a few other changes), but by the time Sharkfest came around, they did not finish the work, and I left on my commuter to Bowling Green. While there, they called me, and said that the number eight cylinder was scored, so I approved over the phone a shortblock swap and paid the core on the short block (a mere $150). The Vette ended with a 30 over 3914678 block and Edelbrok heads.

I drove it both on and off the track, learning and tweaking as I went along. That engine I drove to Cruise Fest number one (2004), but then later, as I had just made my fastest pass yet at the track 14.600 @ 98 MPH @ 5,200' altitude, I was tweaking some more, when a local guy rumored to have two Ford Cobras (a 1968 real 427 Cobra and a kit cobra with another just as real 427 motor) was making a pass on his kit Cobra and something went wrong and the Kit Cobra left turned into the wall between the 1/8 of a mile and the finish line. He hit so hard that the hood of his Cobra landed about 50 yards from where I was tweaking the Vette's engine.

Needless to say, I tucked my tail between my legs, and left for home. I did not want Gail to end up in similar situation. That's when I pulled the replacement motor, and I began the project to restore the L81.

The pictures you see in my Skydrive folder are my efforts to achieve accurate configuration of my engine. I even sold the aluminum heads, and went on a quest to find replacement stock heads. LannyL81 and Sensei helped me a lot with these, and the results is what you see in the pictures.

My L81 is only bored 20 over, the CR is at 9.49:1, and the rotating components are ccompletely balanced to about a fraction of an ounce. But other than that is as stock as any other :thumb:w

:D

p.s. The video is a type MP4 (iPhone/iPad format. Try a video player that supports these formats)

Last edited:
For the people that aren't getting the video's working. I first downloaded them. Then the computer is thinking the MP4 is a music file so selected the wrong app. Select a video player (or download VLC player) to see the vid's. :)

Greetings Peter

Hello Gerry,

Great video's! But what a horrible sound that the engine was making.. :eek:hnoes
As I just bought a Contour camera I'll do the same thing, makes everything alot easier! :)

Greetings Peter

Peter, the video with me behind the wheel just happened last week. The Vette developed a sort of backfire, except there was not backfire flame visible. I found the timing had jumped way too advanced somehow. I did check for sheared distributor gear pin and nothing was found wrong. I am still scratching my head over how it happened.

Last edited:
For the people that aren't getting the video's working. I first downloaded them. Then the computer is thinking the MP4 is a music file so selected the wrong app. Select a video player (or download VLC player) to see the vid's. :)

Greetings Peter

Divx DivX

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom