Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Detailing rookie, Help please!

I wouldn't use towels to wash the car. They don't have enough nap to them. When they are soaked, they have even less. Most MF wash mitts I've seen have short nap too, not the long nap of a chenille mitt. I personally prefer sheepskin mitts. Whatever you use, just be careful not to apply pressure, etc.

I don't know that thread count really matters that much with towels. But as long as it's a quality towel, that's the important thing. One thing you can try is rubbing towels on the face of a CD (like free ones you get in the mail). See which scratch it, which don't, which scratch really aggressively, etc. A CD will scratch a lot easier than paint, so just because it scratches doesn't mean it's a bad towel, but it'll give you some idea of relative differences.

Edit: Thanks for the compliment on the exhaust. Corsa doesn't just make sweet Corvette exhausts... ;)

Hi Aurora40, So that's the sound of a Corsa sys., wonder how they sound on a vette? Well my exh is still good & I'll file that info away for another day. Okay I got what you're saying about the wash mitts and I will not soon forget that lesson. Like my pop says " why ya gotta learn the hard way, ya don't stop & listen. You just go charging off full of p*** & vinegar!" Okay I am gonna learn someday! Ofcourse I'm going shoping for a mitt and some clay. Think I'll get one for my pop too since I'm going to borrow his Meguire's polish. He has a selection of Meguire's stuff, scratch & swirl remover, cleaner polish, concours paste & gold class wax & car wash that he uses on his 04 caddy! Who would of known! He don't have a mitt & no good towels. So I think I'll spring for the mitts & a good selection of micro towels for both of us. I'll get enough clay for all the cars & have a little detailing party! This may have a very good result! Me & pop can hang out & do something together, well he can supervise anyway! I never would have thought that a vette had this use also; but I remember back to my 72 & we did the same thing! This could have a host of unintended consequences, all good ones!:D Tom.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom