Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Dic service ride control

Paul Higg

Corvette
2007 Monterey Red
Hi guys, it's been a very long time since I visited. I still have my 2007 and it now has 65K on the clock.
In July of 2014 I had all the fluid leak out of all my magnetic ride control shocks.
I couldn't afford $3000 for four new GM shocks so I installed Bilsteins and used the Casper plugs from Casper Electronics in Colorado.
It's been fine until today when I received that DIC message.
Problem is there are eight plugs and I have no idea how to start troubleshooting it.
I tried calling just now but they're gone for Easter.

I read somewhere in 2014 that a "speed shop" could use a scanner or something like that and fake the system so I wouldn't even need the plugs. This was after I had already installed them.

Anyone ever heard of this, faking the system out?

If so where would I find a speed shop to do this in the Atlanta area?

Any help would be very much appreciated as in the years being on a fixed income I have fallen on very hard times and now I have a heart problem too and I'm only 56.

Thank you.

Paul

Hi guys, it's been a very long time since I visited. I still have my 2007 and it now has 65K on the clock.
In July of 2014 I had all the fluid leak out of all my magnetic ride control shocks.
I couldn't afford $3000 for four new GM shocks so I installed Bilsteins and used the Casper plugs from Casper Electronics in Colorado.
It's been fine until today when I received that DIC message.
Problem is there are eight plugs and I have no idea how to start troubleshooting it.
I tried calling just now but they're gone for Easter.

I read somewhere in 2014 that a "speed shop" could use a scanner or something like that and fake the system so I wouldn't even need the plugs. This was after I had already installed them.

Anyone ever heard of this, faking the system out?

If so where would I find a speed shop to do this in the Atlanta area?

Any help would be very much appreciated as in the years being on a fixed income I have fallen on very hard times and now I have a heart problem too and I'm only 56.

Thank you.

Paul

Anyone?
I know it's been a long time since I was last here but things have not been going well.
Jesse, you still on the forum?

Did the shocks all leak at once or was there an event that damaged them?
I am not familiar with the suspension, but many "plugs" that bypass features such as CAGS are simply resistors that simulate the load the missing components would "look like' to the computer.
Now the first rule in troubleshooting electric circuits is "wiggle wires" because that is the most likely fault. So check all the connections. If that reveals nothing, Pulling the plugs out a measuring their resistance could help you identify a bad one, and what value they use.

Hey Paul, long time. Sure glad you dropped in again. I think traffic here has been light today, because of the Easter holiday. I also have heard that the computer can be tricked into thinking those shocks never existed.

Jesse is still around and we have a few others that are very good as well. I think one or more of them will drop by here soon to help you.

Did the shocks all leak at once or was there an event that damaged them?
I am not familiar with the suspension, but many "plugs" that bypass features such as CAGS are simply resistors that simulate the load the missing components would "look like' to the computer.
Now the first rule in troubleshooting electric circuits is "wiggle wires" because that is the most likely fault. So check all the connections. If that reveals nothing, Pulling the plugs out a measuring their resistance could help you identify a bad one, and what value they use.
Thanks Wavedoggie. that's the problem, there's 8 and they will all need to be removed.
What I was hoping to do was find some kind of shop where they can disable it in the computer, I read that someone di that a few years ago.
But where do I go and how do they do it?
They were installed in July of 2014 and cost $175 but it was cheaper to disable them and replace them with real shocks. They were even recaled in the C7's for leaking. They weren't damaged but they all leaked, they have a notorius record for leaking.

Hey Paul, long time. Sure glad you dropped in again. I think traffic here has been light today, because of the Easter holiday. I also have heard that the computer can be tricked into thinking those shocks never existed.

Jesse is still around and we have a few others that are very good as well. I think one or more of them will drop by here soon to help you.
Hi Tom! Gosh it's good to hear from you! Thank you for replying, have been away for a long time because of health issues.
I would be very grateful if someone could help me find a way to fake out the system.
Paul

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom