Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Did my own fender vent mod...(pics)

Corvette
Blk/Blk '96 LT4 Coupe
Saw the kit that Eckler's sells for $45 and, although I liked the concept, I didn't like the screen they use or the price. Went to Home Depot and, after spending quite a bit of time weighing my options, decided on this look...which I couldn't be happier with. Total cost of this mod was well under $10...and imo, it looks pretty cool.

Here are a few pics:

454edit.jpg

447edit.jpg

450edit.jpg

452edit.jpg

445edit2.jpg

449edit-1.jpg

Car was dirty so I didn't take any full car pics but I think this mod will go well w/ the whole look of the car:

MCP1.jpg

Oh yeah, and here's a how to:

Well I read about people using rain gutter screen but what I found at Home Depot just didn't look right...and the screen mesh they sold, the holes were too small and looked funky. What I wound up buying was a couple of rectangular vent screens (only needed one though) - that you would see on the outside of a house. They by far had the best pattern and the most uniformed look.
prod-0152721-zoom.jpg

I pulled the louvered fender panels off & cut some strips of screen (one piece) just long enough & wide enough to cover the vent hole/s...and made sure the cut kept the pattern uniform. (The pieces can't have much overhang cuz once the fenders are back on, there's "not much room" between the fender and battery (driver's side) & "same" on the passenger side.) I then used some 3M (black) super adhesive and dabbed a some around the contact points. The 3M stuff dries real quick and once it sets, that screen is not going anywhere. I used a heat gun to help the adhesive set quicker and once dry, remounted the fenders. Whole job took a little over an hour.

The thing w/ "this mod" (and what my pics may not convey since I focused primarily on "them"), is it's really not meant to stand out too much. It's just one of those mods that's part of the package...being the whole car. I recently saw a new ZO6 at a car show and it had the screens and parked next to it were 2 base C6's w/o the screens...and that little added "bonus" just really helped the car stand out.

Nice job! The whole car looks great. What mufflers are those and how do they sound? Really nice job, nothing tacky on your car, like some peoples. Some people just go to far and make them look tacky. All you need is a hottie standing beside it. You probably got her taking the pictures.

Nice job! The whole car looks great. What mufflers are those and how do they sound? Really nice job, nothing tacky on your car, like some peoples. Some people just go to far and make them look tacky. All you need is a hottie standing beside it. You probably got her taking the pictures.

Thx!...appreciate the feedback.:beer

I have Magnaflows on mine...see sig.

Jeff,

Love it. You have really personalized your car. I will get there one day.:L

Jeff,

Love it. You have really personalized your car. I will get there one day.:L

Thx Edmond! :D

Yes, you will get there one day and when you do, I'll be there to offer any help that I can. :beer

Thx Jane Ann. :beer

Your mod looks good, nice job. That's a good looking C4. :beer

Is the mesh made of aluminum? Just wondering is case of oxidation and/or rust in the future (if it's not).

I tried to get some for my vette and Ecklers is sold out!:confused

How much did you lower your car? I put 17s on my 85 and now it sits a little higher. How low can I go before the tires rub when going over bumps?

Your mod looks good, nice job. That's a good looking C4. :beer

Is the mesh made of aluminum? Just wondering is case of oxidation and/or rust in the future (if it's not).
Yes aluminum, should hold up ok. If not, for $5 I can redo it if need be. :D:beer

Jeff, that is one cool looking mod! What a great concept and you really carried it off.

:upthumbs

The contrast is what I like about it the most. This would work with ANY color Vette.

SAVE THE :w

Jeff, that is one cool looking mod! What a great concept and you really carried it off.

:upthumbs

The contrast is what I like about it the most. This would work with ANY color Vette.

SAVE THE :w

Thank ya' sir. :beer

Yesterday I was hanging w/ a guy w/ a CE. He loved the mod but we both agreed, for that color car, the screen/mesh would look better if it was painted black...although (fwiw), his car did have black GS wheels and black GS striping across the car. Looking at his car, the shiny silver look wouldn't mesh as well...but it does look great on a black car.

I lust received my screens for my vette. How do you install them? It came with double sided sticky tape where do you put the tape? No instructions included. I bought the ecklers set.

I lust received my screens for my vette. How do you install them? It came with double sided sticky tape where do you put the tape? No instructions included. I bought the ecklers set.

Wish I could help but, I fabbed my own & used a 3M adhesive to adhere them so...:confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom