Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Different 81 speedometer question

pbcanney

Corvette
1981 383 4 speed 3.55 rear
I'm swapping in a 79 Muncie 4 speed to replace the automatic in my 81. Should I expect the speedometer to be accurate, or should I be looking at swapping the speedo out as well?

Thanks in advance

Paul

81 383

:w Just wanted to say hello and welcome to the Corvette Action Center....someone will be here and have an answer for you .....

Welcome Paul!

...in a Bruce the shark voice: "Hello!"

Welcome to Corvette Action Center. I am under the impression that speedometers only need to be adjusted when rear end gears are changed. I could be wrong, better wait until someone who really knows posts...
Heidi :w

btw...Fish are friends, not food!

trans swap

I'm also "in process" of doing this exchange. I ve been delayed for about 2 months due to other projects...house repair., but have done most of the planning and installation of interior parts. Incidentally, the "79 4-speed is a Borg Warner, not a "Muncie".
You asked about the Speedometer. Yes, you'll have to buy new gears for the 4-speed unless one comes with it that JUST HAPPENS to be the right one. The only concern with the Speedo itself is the Vehicle Speed Sensor that connects to the rear. Its my understanding that this was primarily for the automatic lock-up feature, but I've read that there is a sensor for the 4-speed also. (its the blue sensor in the left front corner after you remove the center console..AC) I'll probably leave mine unhooked.
I've already had Clocks by Rogers (Tenn.) to upgrade my Speedo from 85mph to 165mph. Looks good.
Good luck, jim

send some info

pbcanney- I am thinking about converting my 81 auto tranny to a 4 speed. Any advice b4 I start?
On a scale of 1 to 10, how hard is this project? Got the time and $$$, just wondering what I'm getting into b4 I start.
Right now it is only a dream, so I can be steered away from ,if its that big of a job.
thanx in advance.
;)

I figure I have about $1000 in ebay parts here. Which is the transmission, bell housing, linkage, flywheel, new clutch pack, pedal assembly etc. and another $100 for the trans jack and second set of ramps.

-Paul

brake pedal

Are you going to install the correct brake pedal (1/2 pedal) as well?
Did you just start buying parts from ebay, or buy as a package? $1k sounds reasonable.
thanks for all the info,
;)

The guy I bought the trans "package" from is swapping a LT1 / 4L60E combo into his 79, so it included his pedal assembly. In turn, I am sending mine to him. This was no easy "feet" getting the old one out :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom