Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Differential help!

Twin_Turbo

Corvette
1982 Twin Turbocharged Red/Black
I need some tolerance numbers on the 80-82 diff & the pre 80 diff.

What's the MAX tolerance for yoke sideplay in/out of the case?

A buddy of mine has an 78 pacer w/ a lot of sideplay (at least 1/10th ") the planet gears look fine, as do the yokes. The pin is fine too. What on earth could cause so much play. The yokes are not worn, the clip groove looks just fine. I can't imagine these yokes stretching.

Thanks,

Marck

There is no published spec anywhere for yoke end play. The yokes can look great and still have play due to wear in the Posi clutch packs - that's what sets up the clearance to begin with between the hardened end of the yoke and the pinion shaft.

Twinnie,

I had this problem with mine right after a rebuild from Van Steel. I had them do a total rebuild using heavy duty yokes and I talked with Art about it and he told me that some yokes are like that, you might have some that are nice and firm, others have some play in them. I was pretty concerned over it but he has never steered me wrong and has been pretty honest about a lot of things in the Corvette industry so I have no reason to doubt him. If your buddy still has concerns have him call Art, he's a good down to earth guy.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom