Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Differential swap

itsa64

Corvette
1964 Riverside Red
Does anyone know whether 65-67 differentials are a direct bolt-in to a 64?

I'd like to get a new set of gears but it seems that the 64 rearends wear not very good (?) and aren't worth rebuilding?

I was thinking of swapping it out and putting the original aside...;help

Any iron diff from 63-79 will work. 63-68 housings are tighter internally and use different shims that should be ground to fit.

The 69-79 housing are wider and use the shims in the master kits. The external holes are the same,except on the 63-64 the front bracket hole is tapped and the later holes are drilled through for a bolt.

Your 64 can be rebuilt better then new providing an Eaton posi is used and the rest of the parts are high quality.I've some cheap rebuilds out there.

The 65-68 Eaton posi's are known for cracking so you must check them close. The spiders used in the 65-70 are 10-18's and not as strong as the later 71-79 10-17 spiders. The clutches in the 65-70 are solid steels while the 71-79's used the much weaker snowflakes.

Your best bet is to decide on how you want it built; "plain jane" stock or modified and blueprinted for better performance and life. Then decide on a ratio and go from there. I've built plenty of 63-64's but never one in stock form, all had tuned and polished posi's with new gears.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom