Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dipstick, dipwads!

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
:mad

I can't believe my luck. The Milodon dipstick that I have been waiting on for months and months finally came today. Nikki called me at work to let me know the great news.

I came home all excited about finishing this part of my engine up when..................................I read the package......................................and found out Summit racing sent me a Ford dipstick!!!!!!!!! It is not even close. You should have heard my conversation with the customer service rep. I am like "So look at my past 10 years of orders and tell me when I EVER ordered a Ford part" Somebody screwed up and mixed up my order. So, I guess some Ford guy out there is holding a Chevy big block stick wondering what the heck is going on.

What is it with me and ordering stuff????

Well, as luck would have it, eventhough Milodon just shipped a ton of backordered product, they are already backordered again.

The earliest I can get a generic equivelent will be MONDAY.

So typical. Sharkfest is coming fast, and I am still piddling around with this kind of puny garbage.

Summit is sending me a Lokar instead (I actually think Lokar makes the Milodon stick for $10 less).

Just thought I would share my grief!

Chris,

They probably hear about your blue oval collection and figured you meant Ford:puke

Sorry to hear of yet another set back, to wait so long only to get the wrong part. That sucks!

I'm sure you'll be ready for Sharkfest with time to spare

Relax Chris, I gave up trying to beat the clock again this year. If it works out that I'm running ok by then, well fine-and-dandy. If I can't run it on the strip, that's fine too. I'm gonna be bringing it at any rate. And it WILL fire! :D

Speaking of dipsticks, I got a Lokar billet piece for mine and I'm beginning to have second thoughts about it. First of all it was very difficult to see the clean oil (or dirty oil for that matter), no matter how you held it up to the light. Secondly, the billet handle get pretty darn hot because the flex tube isn't very long.

Oh yeah, the stick isn't very flexible either. It's not the lightweight spring steel they use for factory applications; it's more of a piece of thick steel wire (You CAN break it! :eek).

That's another bad choice I made in my build, and the irony is that is was one of the few I chose because of the beauty aspect. :eyerole

_ken :w

No point in getting high blood pressure. I have lost count of the number of items over the years that were either the wrong part or disappionting. I have a garage full of bits`n`pieces and as I have the only C3 in town I`m unlikely to sell them locally.

I have my eye on a dipstick in the local Harley shop, it has a nice built in digital temp gauge which lights up neon blue and it`s one of these "see it have to have it " parts which will probably be no good but I will buy it and try and fit a longer thermocouple to it. My mate tells me not to waste my money but will I listen.

Probably not.

J.

Thanks guys, it is hard not to get disappointed after being so excited that it came. Ken, I agree that sucker is going to be hot judging from the Ford stick they sent me. It has a sweet looking handle, very close to the header region.

I will be careful!

Got 7 qrts of fresh oil including filling the oil filter. I will fire it up, let it settle, when the stick gets here, line that mark as one quart low, then put the final quart in, run it, then mark the full line.

I put a heavy duty rubber plug on there for now, then sleeved it with a 5/8" heater hose to make sure I don't have a repeat of last saturday in the event I have to drive it between now and when I finally get a stick.

Chris, if it makes you feel any better, I just may have sent more back to Summit and Jegs than I ever ordered. It almost always takes me two tries to get the right part. Of course, that seems to be my luck with any mail-order.:(

Okay, I don't want to get tooooo excited yet, but somehow, someway, Summit was able to get the Locar replacement dipstick to my front door today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Major Thanks to the Service Rep for such RAPID help!!!!!!!!

However, the proof is in the pudding. I will find out tonight if it is actually the correct part.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom