Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

DIS ignition for LT1 manifold on GEN I block

KANE

Corvette
Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6
Anybody have any experience with MSD's Flying Wheel or another DIS system? Any thoughts?

Well, I did it- I broke down and bought an LT1 manifold (actually, it is off an L99!) with the intent to use it in a future yet to be determined project. Not sure what Vette it will go into (a C3!)- but that is where it will go- on a GEN I small block.

Yes, I know this means A LOT OF CUSTOM work like the water passages will need to be drilled and tapped... the bolt holes for eight of the mounting provisions too... and even the distributor provision with matching washer. I know it will be worth it though. TPI is too restrictive in stock form for an LS2 horsepower GEN I motor (400hp). So, I paid $150 with shipping for the fuel rail, throttle body, injectors (see Ken- that's what I was getting at about storage of injectors!!) and the IAC / TPS / MAP for the unit. Not a bad price if you ask me.

I'd like to retain the EGR so this thing will be smog legal. To do that with the LT1 manifold either I will need to use a remote EGR (like the one used on the CFI X-Ram, but plumbed into a block-off plate and mounted elsewhere to make room for the distributor) or use a DIS and not fool with a remote EGR (or have to cut a hole for the distributor).

Ken- whadda ya think? C4C5- do you know of a system that won't cost the $800 or so dollars I have seen? I still have plenty of time to make up my mind. Heck, I don't even have the car yet- but starting now will allow me to amass the parts list to do it right and all at once when I do!

The GEN I block has an oil pump that drives off an intermediate shaft that's in turn driven by distributor that's in turn driven by camshaft. Even with DIS, you'd still have to find the means to both drive the pump and bridge the gap between the oil galleries (as a distributor does) ... and it'd have to be a method that fits with your intake manifold. MSD makes a "dummy" distributor stalk with gear ... but it might interfere with your intake.
JACK:gap

Good point about the stalk height. Doesn't look like it will fit under the manifold.

Its okay though- the price of the sticker for a DIS system is two times what I would have in the TPI system. I'm going with the small cap distributor.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom