Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Disc Brake Conversion

Z

Zach

Hey, I own a 64 and have been looking for a reputable parts / product company that sells a conversion kit. Does anyone know of one or have any good / bad experiences to share?
Thanks,
Zach

Welcome to the CAC Zach. I don't know of anyone that markets a complete changover kit but Vette Brakes or one of the other good Corvette service shops should be able to sell you all of the '65 and newer parts in a package deal.

Tom

I am just getting the hang of my '63, and though the drums are fine, I always assumed that conversion kits would be common. I wonder why not?

Tom, I have found pretty much what you describe, but it really surprises me.

Anybody have any thoughts?

A Couple

I bought a front conversion for my 62 from JMT Auto in Holiday Fl. 727-942-7458 great people to deal with and they are the manufacturers. They make and sell them to Eckler's, Corvette Central etc. I'm going to be calling him back this week for the rears, dual master cylinder and proportioning valve. Another source is http://www.ssbrakes.com/. They alsos make a needle bearing king pin set that I have and will be installing along with the disks this winter.

I did the FDB conversion a few years ago from Vette Brakes on my 63. Very complete kit, excellent instructions and easy to install. Also used a 67 dual master cyl. which bolts directly to the 63 brake booster and allows the use of the proportioning valve for the rear drums. No regrets and a huge improvement. The proportioning valve is handy for smoke shows as you can adjust it so the rear brakes don't work at all!!! Good fun.

Disc conversion...

I have been considering this conversion for my 64 also. I have seen the full kits (including the master cylinder) in a number of the catalogs. I can't remember the specifics but I do seem to remember the whole package being somewhere around $2K. I have discussed this with a mechanic that has done some work on my 64 and he said either buy the kit that is complete or find a trashed 65 and gather all the parts. He said the kit was a great deal because it was totally complete and only takes about 4 hrs labor to install. Check out all the big catalog outfits or do some internet searching. If you do follow thru with it please let me know how it goes.

Re: A Couple

Rowdy1 said:
Another source is http://www.ssbrakes.com/. They alsos make a needle bearing king pin set that I have and will be installing along with the disks this winter.

That sounds interesting. Although my king pins are new the needle bearings are bound to be an improvement in steering ease. I'm considering dropped uprights from Fat Man Fabrications so that would be the time to do it.

Front Price

Being a little over anxious and short on cash, instead of pricing the whole kit (front & rear) I just bought the front from JMT as I stated above. I pulled the receipt out of curiousity and it was $449.00. I can't see the whole kit being $2000, unless you're going through Ekler's or one of those seller's. Remember, Ekler's buys those kits and resells them, do some serious searching, buy from the maker, you'll save a ton of $$$.

63-64 conversion kits...

I dug out my catalogs and here is what I found for front disc brake conversion kits for 63-64's.
1. Corvette America has a front conversion kit for manual brakes for $895 and with power booster for $995.
2. Zip Products has a front conversion kit for $950.
3. The Paddock has a front conversion kit for $939.95, and what they call the "Force 10" extreme duty kit with 43mm stainless steel pistons and stainless steel flex hoses for $1895.95.

All come complete and include a dual bowl master cylinder, 4-piston calipers, rotors, hoses, spindles, brackets and dust shields. It would be a good idea to replace your ball joints while it is torn down.

VB&P price $1499.95 for conversion kit. (same price for the last 5 yrs.) Check out www.vettebrakes.com for catalogue, also calipers are on special right now so might make price of kit a bit less. Regards

Rick

brake conversion

Hi all! I own a '64 with the original style drum brake system. Please excuse my ignorance, and I'm not trying to start a big discussion, but I've wondered why the fascination with converting the brake system over to discs? I understand the disc system is far superior to the old drums technologically speaking, but the old drums worked OK for years until we got involved in racing. I've considered the change to discs, but can't justify the $2k investment for a new system that (appears to me, re. "ignorant") won't add that much $ value to the car, will turn-off someone interested in originality, and for use as a daily driver won't inhance the braking ability of the car that much, and the old drums are much cheaper to maintain. Would someone enlighten me?(I bruise easily, be gentle) Are discs that much more reliable?I'd appreciate the feedback!

I Said it Before

It's not $2000, check my earlier post for JMT. Again, if you buy from the big catalog, you're buying something made by someone else. JMT sells to Eckler's, he is the maunfacturer and you can buy from him direct, the phone # is posted above.

The discs will stop you faster from interstate speeds and even in town at city speeds in a panic situation. They don't tend to pull to one side like drums will if not properly adjusted and are not subject to loosing braking when wet like drums. They are more expensive to maintain and not as easy to work on when you have to do more than just pads or shows.

A disc conversion would be a good idea for a daily driver that sees interstate speed and traffic situations regularly or just to upgrade a modified car that isn't likely to ever be a NCRS restoration canidate.

As far as doing this to a restored or nice original car that has historic value if left original that would be a mistake. You could invest $1500. plus in your car and actually reduce it's value by a few times that amount at the same time.

Tom

53 to 62 dual master cylinder conversion

i purchaced a front disc brake conversion kit for my 59, it took some modification to install, cant get pedal pressure tomsclassic where i puchaced the kit is sending me out a new master , the master cylinder part numbers have been removed, i called eklers to se if their master had a part no. they wont say or they dont know, i spent time on cardon and at napa saw some that might work, looking for one like they sent, does anyone know what master cylinder that are sold with these kits, if you buy these kits and your mc goes bad wouldnt you would want to know what vehicle it origially came on, i know their protecting their kits, but i believe the purchaser has the right to know

I have a 63 that came from a previous owner w front disc brakes already installed.

I believe my parts are all original GM parts taken from other later model Corvettes. i know my master cylinder is 67 Corvette cuz I had to replace it a few years back.

I mention this as an alternative because you guys thinking about converting might be able to get the front end parts used or from a Corvette salvage yard and buy calipers, rotors and pads new.

ol school

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom