Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Distributor for 73

T

Tim73454

I need some help. I'm stuck in Dublin Ireland on business and need to order some parts for my car so I can do my motor swap when I get home.

Do all 73 vettes have a cable driven tachometer?
Do all 73 vettes have an electric choke?

I'm looking at an MSD Dist PN 8572 for cable driven or #8570 for non-cable driven.
I'm also looking at a Holley 770 advenger carb w/electric choke.

Thanks for any help you can give

Tim73454

Hey Tim, I am not a 73 Expert, but I am pretty sure you are on target with your assumptions.

Those are some good quality parts you are considering and I am sure you can work with them.

The trick part to the whole deal is that the 73 should have a cable drive tach, however, since 73 (unless you are the original owner), anything could have been done to that car.

The original cable drive tachs had a small body with a seperate coil and then the cable drive sectoin between the cap and where it goes into the manifold.

If you have a large cap with the coil built in, then somebody switched it for a more reliable HEI at some point in time. Now, if the tach works and you have a HEI, that either means they spent some bucks on a full conversion, or put a 1975-and up tach in the car.

How is the weather over there?

The car has the original 454 in it now and the tach does work so I assume the dist is original. I just have no way to look at it now and I hate to order the wrong one since it will be a special order.
I was just reading some other topics in the room and now I have questions about my Water pump too... I'm not sure what is coming on the new engine or what I need.

They call it "fine" weather but all that it seems to mean is it isn't snowing! Actually it is very nice here today. Sunny and about 55-60.....

Tim73454

I think you will be fine to order the tach drive distributor then.

On the water pump. You need a short leg version. However, the size of the shaft is different on different year models. This could affect the way the pulley fits over the water pump. If you run an electric fan, the shaft won't mater so bad because you could always switch/adapt, drill etc.

Tim,
All 73 Vettes had the mech drive tach driven off of the distributor.

The choke is that coil spring thing that fits into a fitting on the intake manifold. Not electric.

Check out The '73 Spot by clicking below.

tom...

Thanks Tom. I think I'm set on the MSD distributor unless someone has something bad to say about them. I found a Holley avenger 770 cfm carb on ebay and I'm bidding on it. I assume since I'm not putting it on the stock engine I can convert to electric choke?

I finally verified that the motor is the original number matching 454 and I'm keen on getting it out as soon as I can. I would hate to mess it up!!!! I plan on keeping the original carb, dist, smog pump and ext manifolds ect with that motor on a stand in my gargage.

Can't wait to get that 454/435 under the hood so I can replace the tires!!!!!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom