Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Distributor module ?

• Thread starter Thread starter boblx2a
  • Start date Start date
B

boblx2a

In my '85 Corvette I have gone through, what appears to be, 3 distributor modules in the last month and a half. The first was after 67K miles. The second one lasted one day (then took out the coil along with it) the third seems to have gone out last night. I am up to 3 tows with AAA which means I am getting on their PITA list.
I have changed out the distributor cap, rotor, coil, and module twice and this will be the 3rd one. With the symptoms I am sure it is the module again. The two things I have not changed are the capacitor (which I am told is only for noise supression) and the pickup coil which I doubt could effect the module. Perhaps the capacitor is taking out the modules so I might change that too this time.
The trouble is my once reliable Corvette is quickly becoming an unreliable car that I am afraid to take out of the garage for fear of needing a tow home.

Anyone else ever had this type of problem with a Vette?

Thanks.......Bob

I would also check with the F-body guys, I seem to remember that being a real issue in the mid 80's with Camaros/Firebirds but I don't remember what causes it. Good Luck.
:)

JonM said:
Maybe the ECM or one of the wires shorting it out?...You would have to borrow one and switch it out. Here is a diagram of my 84.

http://misterbill.homeip.net/vette/wiring/ECM_ignition_CE%20lamp.jpg
Thanks very much for going to the trouble of sending me a diagram. I will keep it for future reference. My '85 is probably the same.

I may have unwittingly stumbled onto the problem over the weekend. I spent a couple of hours on the Internet and one of the posts I found struck a cord. The early HEI distributors had a very high failure rate of modules, about 2 to 3 weeks, so they added a strap of metal on one of the posts undeneath the coil that formed the center pin for the rear most (3 pin) connector that comes from the distributor to the coil. That pin on mine was missing. I looked on the old distributor cap (pack rat that I am!) and sure enough the strap was there. I had not noticed it because it was a gray distributor cap and so was the strap and tucked down underneath the coil.

In plain words I F***ed up! Pretty costly too, 3 tows and hundreds of dollars of parts. But all I want it to do is end! I wonder why that strap does not come with a new cap from the dealer? Or how about with a new coil also from the dealer? Or how about one with each of them?
But then look at all of the fun I would have missed! :)

Thanks again for your trouble..............Bob

redc4corvette said:
Not yet!
Change the place you are getting your modules from.
I bought them from 3 different sources including the dealer. I guess I was set up for failure though by my own ignorance. [see prevous post] At least I am really good at installing distributor caps! :)

I am just praying that it is over. The car seems to run better now but that could be just my imagination.

Thanks...............Bob

When I was on the road in 2001, on my way across country to Bowling Green, I had my car die on me three times. Twice I had it flat-bedded to a shop (once to the dealer in Albuquerque and once to an independent shop) where both times they diagnosed the problem as a defective igniton module. The dealer even went so far as replacing the coil.

When it happened to me a third time, I was at wit's end, so I just started feeling around Braille-like until I discovered a plug with a broken retaining clip. The car would run fine after they worked around in the area for awhile, then after I'd get down the road a few miles the plug would work itself loose, losing power from the battery. My fix at the time?

Bubbafix2.jpg
BUBBA WAS HERE!

Look around, you never know what you might find. ;)

Ken said:
When I was on the road in 2001, on my way across country to Bowling Green, I had my car die on me three times. Twice I had it flat-bedded to a shop (once to the dealer in Albuquerque and once to an independent shop) where both times they diagnosed the problem as a defective igniton module. The dealer even went so far as replacing the coil.

When it happened to me a third time, I was at wit's end, so I just started feeling around Braille-like until I discovered a plug with a broken retaining clip. The car would run fine after they worked around in the area for awhile, then after I'd get down the road a few miles the plug would work itself loose, losing power from the battery. My fix at the time?

Bubbafix2.jpg
BUBBA WAS HERE!

Look around, you never know what you might find. ;)
I have had the distributor cap off of there so many times it is a wonder that the clips are not broken but none of mine are. That was some pretty good trouble shooting. I wonder why the mechanics couldn't find that? I also wonder if they had a good time with your money? I guess they just jammed that connector on there and hoped it would stay. :(

I am not sure I am out of the woods with mine yet, it took 2 to 3 weeks to fail, but I am hopeful.
I did manage to break the clip off of the large connector on the module but I have to pry that connector off so I am not worried about it coming loose. But I am really weary of tow trucks and parts stores! :)

Thanks for sharing..............Bob

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom