Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Diverter valve for an '81

Chris Kennedy

Hi! I am looking for a diverter valve assembly for an '81. This is the part which connects to the elbow assembly that comes off the air pump. There are several hoses and electrical connections to it, and mine has started to make a shrieking noise at around 2000 rpm. It's been discontinued by GM, of course. If anyone has any leads/suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,

--Chris Kennedy

Chris, Are you sure its the diverter valve? Mine started making a high pitched whine and it was the smog pump going bad. The bearings in the smog pump were going out so at certain rpms in would whine like hell. Got a rebuilt smog pump from NAPA and in about an hours time all was quite. Zane

Thanks!

I want to thank everyone for their help on this question. One source indicates that NAPA may actually now make the part (and, yes, it is not the air pump causing the problem), and I am having them check it out now. I will let you know what they say, in case anyone else has this problem, and will forward part number and price. You know, it really is inexcusable that these sorts of emissions related parts are not mandated to be made at least as long as the emissions laws apply to the particular year of vehicle.

--Chris Kennedy

Chris,

You may also want to consider contacting Bill Hodel, of Massillon, Ohio (330-832-0871). He specializes on Original Corvette, Camaro, and Chevelle smog systems.

I looked hi and low for the smog pump bracket everywhere. He helped me with one, and the price was reasonable considering that it was less than a similarly priced bracket at the dealer [which it was similar, but NOT a match to the 81 bracket].

Juts trying to help...

diverter valve assembly for an '81

My '82 had a couple of valves that had been broken & a poor attempt to repair with cement/glue by the prior owner. They were plugged with the glue & one of them was falling apart again. I couldn't find replacements anywhere so I ventured in to a salvage yard & starting checking under the hoods of all of their early '80's GM cars looking for similar pieces. I can't remember exactly what kind of car I took mine out of but they were an exact match (might have been a Camaro or Firebird, not certain). In fact, I found several that were probably similar enough to do the job. The salvage gave them to me for $.50 a piece, I slapped them on & haven't had any troubles with them. Good luck, Jim
:s

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom